Beer Butt Chicken - Does it really work???

julian

i am new
so gave it a try with a twist
Tandoori Beer Butt Chicken
spent $2.50cnd(like 50cents usd LOL) on a can of fine english STOUT
Dranks Half
followed the instructions
the Indian Tandoori came out AMAZING RED - should have taken pictures

sister in law said - most moist chicken she had ever eaten...
brother in law said - he wasnt even hungry but ate so much..

my question
i was left with almost the same amount of beer or stuff as i started with

this beer is like mothers milk to me...
you people understand

does it really work???
or is it part of the show...
and standing the chicken is what makes it soo good.
then i will drink the whole can next time and put in water with seasoning in the can before my guests come over

let me know

Drink the beer and fill the can with italian dressing and water works great, the chicken does come out very moist, its my favorite way of cooking whole chicken, want to try a turkey

Julian: I did this alot before tryed all kinds of stuff in the beer can.(spices,herbs,juice)

Well cant say i felt any taste of anything more then the outer rub of the chicken.

But im with you with the nice colour it gets from standing up,and the fact that it looks cool the first times you invite someone over.

Other then that i dont think the can brings anything to the table.

And if it was the most juicy chicken you ever did,you just pulled it at the right time.

My 2 cents

We've done several and never found that whatever is in the can makes any difference. We usually either leave it empty or just put water in it. The last few we did we injected with Italian seasoning with a light S&P dusting and they came out wonderful.

Russ

I bought wire frames that hold birds upright. I guess they are for supporting a beer can, but I never bother. They do work great for maximizing space, as I can get 6 large birds on one 18" wsm.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I bought wire frames that hold birds upright. I guess they are for supporting a beer can, but I never bother. They do work great for maximizing space, as I can get 6 large birds on one 18" wsm. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Last Sunday I put my wire frames in a round pan without the beer can. Into the pans went apple juice with some spices, garlic and onion. After two hours I based the chicken with the liquid that was in the pans mixed now with the chicken drippings. My family gave me rave reviews on these two cooked birds.

richard : sounds like a good mop!

Dident the pan under the chicken effect the colour in the end resault? or did you have the pan on the lower grate?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
richard : sounds like a good mop!

Dident the pan under the chicken effect the colour in the end resault? or did you have the pan on the lower grate? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wolgast: Both the wired Chickens were on the top grate inside their respective cake pan and the only effect the pans gave was a golden brown color. I took some pictures of these two birds as they were coming off the WSM and will post them ASAP. The spices that I used were dried Marjoram and Thyme.

Question: Here in Costa Rica a 10lb bag of Kingsford Charcoal costs around $16.00. How much does it cost in Sweden?

Richard

OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator, WSM Classic

Beer can turkey is just as easy and the results are very tasty .. just use a bigger beer can 16oz or larger depending on the size of the bird .. most anything can go in the can .. I bought the wire holder that fits and latches on the can but my Coors can were too tall .. emptied a Diet Coke and filled the can with spice and beer .. found that the wire frames helped scoot the chicken on the wire grate without tipping chicken over .. done the chicken on Weber Gold Kettle and the turkey on bullet type smoker ..

I used to be a big fan of beer can chicken and tried everything from pepsi to wine/garlic in the can. While I enjoyed the results, I never noticed a flavor difference.

Honestly though; I believe the most tender/juicy chicken I have achieved has been when I spatchcock it and grill over direct heat.

It is a very nice technique for cooking a visually appealing chicken as it allows very nice color to form on the skin. The liquid in the can I feel makes absolutely no difference, nor do any herbs. Just my opinion of course. My best birds are spatchcocked as well, seasoned liberally on both sides, and cook hot and fast. Crispy skin, still super moist inside.

Richard: i pay around 1,33 USD/2.2lb fuel

Dont have kingsford here but i always stock when they are on sale(not often)

B.D/M.R i have had great resault with a juicy tender chicken on the wsm @ 225f-250f with far better smoke flavour then the kettle,skin is the downside on the wsm but far better then to chared skin.

Im not a "skin eater" and i think if the bird is great alone the skin doesent matter mutch(to me)

1st thanks all - i thought u guys would run me down for even asking the question "does beer can chicken really work"
so i started off by saying i was new

i know Steven Raichlen wrote a book the very name and sold thousands of copies.

Well your answer makes me think that i was on to something and very early on.
my friends are very brand loyal - some only drink corona - the others only drink Heineken

i know that these fools wouldnt even eat the chicken that wasnt their brand and for sure tell me that they get the taste

what i will do in the future
is make two 3.5 pound chickens - one corona and one heineken - i will use old cans that i wash out and fill with water or lemon juice if i am doing lemon chicken

THANKS ALL

PS and i am planning on returning the used can and getting my 10cent deposit as well - i am cheap like that
LOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my question
i was left with almost the same amount of beer or stuff as i started with </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

icon_wink.gif

i thought there was some "drippage" or chicken juice that fell into the can.

my 1st time - the chicken fell a couple of times - still the can at the end was pretty near half full - HOW

There is practically no way the can can get hot enough to boil before the bird is done. I was a big believer in bcc for years until I tried without a can and just the rack and had the same results. Plus even if the can got to a good boil all the steam would vent straight out of the neck.

I still do birds on a rack all the time and love it!

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...80069052/m/673104256

ok those were amazing pictures
the way u use space and cook soo many things

i get up in the morning think Ribs and that is all i focus on all day.
cant even think of chicken or 176 degrees breast temp

anyway i hope the rest of my family thinks up the rest

Originally posted by Glenn W:
There is practically no way the can can get hot enough to boil before the bird is done. I was a big believer in bcc for years until I tried without a can and just the rack and had the same results. Plus even if the can got to a good boil all the steam would vent straight out of the neck.

---How did you go about posting your pictures? I have never done this and having some problems in posting my pictures.

Back