BEEN AWAY TOO LONG....SPARES & WINGS HELP!

David Verba

TVWBB Fan
Hey everyone, I've been away for WWWWWAY to long, but I'm finally home. Unfortunetly, I've forgotten a few things.... I'm trying to do Spares & Wings for the Super Bowl today and I'd like them to be done around the same time.

For the wings, I'm doing the "Holy Grail" method. (I'm going to post a picture shortly on my method of drying out the wings which works very well)

My plan is to start the ribs about 12pm, cook for 3 hours @ 275º - then finish in the oven (foiled?) at which time, I'll open up the vents, take out the (clay potted) water pan, and cook up the wings for about an hour-ish. I'd like to have everything done at 5pm.

Of course, this in a perfect world, and again, its been about a year since I've done any BBQ'ing on my two WSM' s - and have NEVER finished anything in the oven.

1.) Approx. how long and at what temp should I finish the Ribs in the oven?

2.) Should I foil the ribs in the oven? (Then sauce and throw back on the now pretty hot smoker to caramelize a bit?)

3.) ANY tips / suggestions?

Not a big party by any means, just my parents, neighbor, girlfriend & my 10 year old son and his friend

David,

I can't help you with the oven questions (sorry), but I do think an "hourish" for wings is pretty optimistic, unless you're cooking pretty dang hot. I figure 2ish hours at around 275.

Welcome back!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt Sanders:
David,

I can't help you with the oven questions (sorry), but I do think an "hourish" for wings is pretty optimistic, unless you're cooking pretty dang hot. I figure 2ish hours at around 275.

Welcome back! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike! Good to be back, looking forward to a spring/summer/fall filled with lots of smoked heaven.

Wings temps - with all the vents open and (adding some hot coals when the ribs come off) I should be cooking around 350º - plus I'll be removing the water pan so it will be a direct heat (albeit much greater distance than normal grilling).
If you have not tried wings this method - I think you'll be pleasantly surprised! I'm going to try the OMS sauce as well, just trying to figure a rub out since I don't have the Wolfe Citrus Rub recipe.

David, regarding the ribs...I would smoke for 3 hours at about 240-250...then foil and put in the oven at 250 for about 2 hours (put something in the foil with the ribs like apple juice, pineapple juice, or a combo of brown sugar, squeeze parkay, and honey). Then take out of the foil and either put back on the smoker for 30-45 mins, or put on the grill with direct heat for 5-10 mins.

Back