Beef Short Ribs

Dean C.

TVWBB Fan
A friend gave me four slabs of these to cook. Anyone have any suggestions on time, temps, rub, etc? I have never had any experience with these, how do they compare to the beef back ribs in the cooking topic section? Thanks.

Dean,

I haven't done it yet, but try them low and slow with smoke! It would seem to me--and I may be incorrect, in which case i'm sure someone here will correct me--but short ribs seem to be just like brisket. Well, not *exactly*, but they're definately fatty and definately have a lot of connective tissue that (I think) would add some great flavor to the meat after they're rendered through low and slow. My theory is that, like brisket, a lot of people braise short ribs...so what's good for the brisket must be good for the short rib!

Dean--

What size? Do you have 4 slabs (maybe 5-6 lbs each) or 1 slab that's been cut into 4 pieces? Phil is pretty much right-on with his comments. Length of time will depend on what you have. Temps are the same as for ribs.Rub: Your choice; something appropriate for brisket or other beefy beef.

Thanks for the reply's guys, I'm not real sure what I have yet, I haven't unwrapped them as they haven't thawed. I can tell you this, they are straight from a processor, still wrapped in brown butcher's paper. It appears that there are two packages of two. From what the supplier has told me, all the other cuts from the same cow have been extremely fatty. Thanks.

Back