Beef short ribs tomorrow

Mark (markx3)

TVWBB Member
So tomorrow I'm going to be doing bbq short ribs. I have about 20 ribs I was going to put on both grates of my 18" WSM. I'm just going to foil the water pan and not put anything in it. I'm using K with some oak wood. I've only done beef ribs once back in Feb and they came out awesome after 4 hrs. My question is, since these are thicker than the beef ribs, should I smoke them longer? I was thinking about 5+ hours.
I seasoned them with my favorite rub over night and that's it.

Thanks and please any suggestions would be welcome!

So I put the ribs on the Q at 11:45 am. Below is a pic of before they went on the Q. These are 20 beef short ribs.

IMAG0420.jpg

Next is after 2.5 hrs. I'm planning on leaving them on for 5 hrs and putting sauce on them in the last 30 min.

IMAG0423.jpg

IMAG0422.jpg

IMAG0421.jpg

How do I know when they're done?

Thanks!

Mark, 5 hrs is a long time for short ribs b careful the ribs do not dry out. I normally cook short ribs @ about 275-300 for about 2hrs then foil for about 45-60 mins always come out delicious. Anyway gd luck on ur cook.

Thanks. I'm confused because I did 4 racks of beef ribs once and I cooked them for 4 hrs. They came out amazing. Since these short ribs have so much more meat on them, I thought I would smoke them longer. I've just tried them and they're very good after being on the Q from 11:45 am mst and it's now 4pm mst. So the Q is running hot with the vents closed, (over 300), so I have the lid off and they're just sitting on the grates smothering in smoke. Attached is a pic. Oh and I added Q sauce.

IMAGE_424.jpg

Nice job on the Beef Short Ribs Mark - Jim Lampe does Beef Ribs marinating them overnight in Stubbs Beef Marinade - After reading some of his posts on the ribs I tried the same thing and came out great. You can always use the toothpick test on your ribs or a short little fork test for doneness. Bob
wsmsmile8gm.gif

So I did the beef short ribs last night again and this time they came out much better. I smoked them for a total of less than 3 hours and they came out amazing! They were toothpick tender and when I took them off the Q I wrapped them in foil for about 1 hr before serving. I can now say I know how to Q a **** good beef short rib!
Thanks for the advice Noe!!!

Mark, Those short ribs from the 17th looked real good! Where do you get your short ribs? I'm in Highlands Ranch. Thanks
icon_smile.gif

Hi Paul,
The ones from the 17th I got in Westminster at a place called Wally's Quality Meats. They were about $8.50 for four ribs and 1 or 2 ribs were small. That picture shows some pretty overcooked ribs since it was my first time doing short ribs.

Last Sunday I did another batch that I cooked for less than 3 hrs and they came out much more tender. I got those at Whole Foods in Tamarac Square on Hampton. They seemed better than the ones in the picture because they weren't prepackaged so I didn't get any small ribs. Whole Foods was selling them for $6 a pound and you get about 2 good ribs per pound.

Hi I have never done beef short ribs but my girl wants them as an appetizer for our party of 20 people. Any suggestions?? How do they come packaged if I get them from sams? DO i remove any membrane? Im so lost on beef short ribs lol

I don't think membrane matters because you only eat one side of the rib.
I would cook them low at about 200-225 until a toothpick slides into them easily. That may be about 3-4 hrs.

Wow, they may not have come out great the 1st time, but **** they look good. Do you use a similar rub to brisket for these, or more of a baby back ribs/pork style? (I typically use a decent amt of sugar on pork butt/ribs, but go light with it on brisket, preferring pepper and spice there)

Thanks for the post.

Back