Beef Shank???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason M. Park

TVWBB Super Fan
I purchased 3 large beef shanks to do a braised beef shank with red wine recipe. 2 of them is all I need for the recipe, and the 3rd one is a monster, and I was wondering if it would be good cooked on the WSM? If so, how should I prepare it?

My gut tells me this is something that would take a long time at low and slow temps. Maybe 6-8 hours?

The pack of 3 is over 5 lbs, but the one large one is roughly half the total weight. Nowhere near the size of a butt, but large for a shank.

Me...I would simply just rub it with some salt, pepper, and maybe some garlic and or onion powder. I don't think something like that really has to have a ton of seasoning....there are times when beef can stand on flavor alone and I don't feel you always have to flavor it up. Let the smoke provide the flavor you need. As to what and how you plan to serve it depends on how long you cook it and to what temp....IE tender but still a bit firm or tender and falling apart. I tend to like the falling apart (except with brisket and ribs...like by ribs a bit firm). Wouldn't foil it though as being that size it shouldn't take nearly as long as a brisket or a large roast. /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Man..I would put some salt, pepper and garlic powder on it. Smoke it with some Oak wood to the point that it's still juicy and very tender but not falling off the bone but not where the meat itself is falling apart. Then the entire shank...bone-in over a bed of garlic mashed potatoes. Now I'm hungry...what times dinner LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

As I type this, dinner is in about 2 or 3 hours. The shank is on the WSM with some Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper, garlic granules and onion powder. Using cherry wood.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back