Beef Roast

Bill E.

TVWBB Fan
Got 5-6 lb beef roast on sale at supermarket and was gonna do it on the smoker.

Only done briskets so far. Was thinking of doing a simple rub with salt pepper garlic onion powder, etc. (not traditional brisket or even BBQ rub.)

Any thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I am just gonna wing it. Cook it slow and see how it turns out. I am figuring on up to 1.5 hours per pound. Maybe a little less.

Do you know what cut it is? Does it say on the package? Some are great for low 'n slow and pulling, others not so much so.

I think it was a bottom round roast but not 100% sure.

I have to check package. I am at work now.

Hi Bill. Look under the beef recipes for Maryland Pit Beef. I made this once before and plan on smoking another one this Saturday using a rump roast.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill E.:
I think it was a bottom round roast but not 100% sure.

I have to check package. I am at work now. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Remember anything with 'round' in the name is very lean, so low and slow is not a great method to cook till tender. I would suggest Pit Beef like Dave did.

Here's how I'd cook it. Cook indirect around 250º until you get to 100-110º, then remove from the heat and tent with foil. Crank the heat up to the 450º range and sear on all sides until you get an interal temp in the 125º range, tent with foil again and let rest for 15 minutes or so before slicing. Slice paper thin and pile high on kaiser rolls with horseradish and paper thin onion slices.

Bill,

Of course, you can do low and slow. Perhaps my favorite meat to smoke is eye of the round. I smoke them low and slow on my 22.5-inch OTG with a drip pan underneath the roast with a small amount of water in the drip pan to create steam. This steam doesn't add moisture to the meat, but I'm sure it helps reduce the amount of moisture lost from the roast. Low and slow with steam helps reduce shrinkage too.

I just use a little salt, pepper and granulated garlic sprinkled on the roasts before smoking.

Eye-of-the-Round.JPG

Then, I slice thin as Larry suggests and make stacked roast beef sandwiches.

Stacked_Sandwich_01.JPG

###

Thanks for those great tips. Turned out to be busier weekend than expected so I did not roast today.

But did have some BBQ as I had some leftover pork shoulder in fridge. MMMMM

Got three kids between 1 and 7 so it is tough to find smoking time every weekend.

It is a bottom round roast. I may try the Maryland Pit Beef. I saw Steve Raichlen do it on BBQ U and have wanted to do. Thanks for the reminder.

Hey D.L. that looks awesome! Can you give a little detail on smoke times for those? Eye of the round is so easy to find, it would be a shame not to cook a couple like you did.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Hey D.L. that looks awesome! Can you give a little detail on smoke times for those? Eye of the round is so easy to find, it would be a shame not to cook a couple like you did. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mike,

I smoke these using indirect heat on my 22-1/2 OTG over a drip pan with some water in it to supply a little steam. The water is not used as a heatsink. I shoot for 220-230 degrees F. White oak with a bit of Mesquite is my preference for wood. I don't keep notes although I know that I probably should. So, my best guess is the cooking times are about 1 to 1-1/4 hours per pound.

Give 'em a try and post the results!

###

Thanks alot D.L. I have 3 kettles, so I'm certain one of them would be happy to do a round for me. Probably this weekend actually. Any trick to keeping that temp in the kettle? I usually only do high heat stuff in mine. Lid vent closed partly? Bottom closed up a little? Or just very little fuel? any tips are greatly appreciated!

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
Thanks alot D.L. I have 3 kettles, so I'm certain one of them would be happy to do a round for me. Probably this weekend actually. Any trick to keeping that temp in the kettle? I usually only do high heat stuff in mine. Lid vent closed partly? Bottom closed up a little? Or just very little fuel? any tips are greatly appreciated! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike,

I don't have a good photo of an eye of the round smoke. But, I do them similar to the photo, below, of a St. Louis-style rib smoke.

OTG_Indirect01.jpg

Not knowing where you live, I don't know the ambient air temperature you'll be cooking at. When it's in the 70 to 80 degrees F. range here, I light about 18 Kingsford briquettes (Sorry, Brian!). I put them in the middle of the charcoal area formed by a Weber wire charcoal rail. I put about six unlit briquettes on each side of the lit. This is sort of like a mini-Minion method. The remaining, empty portion of the charcoal grate is covered with aluminum foil--shiny side up.

The top vent is fully opened and positioned on the opposite side of the charcoal. It's very easy to creosote your meat in a OTG if you close the top vent--experience speaking. The bottom vents, typically, are nearly closed. But, you can open them more or less just as you would a WSM.

Notice the drip pan with a small amount of water for steam generation. I have a Maverick ET-73 probe on the cooking rack somewhere. You can see the cable, but the probe must be obscured.

About every 60 to 90 minutes I may need to add about a half-dozen or so unlit briquettes. This is a good time to rotate meat, if necessary, or add or remove things like potatoes for baking, etc. I usually add a small piece of wood when adding charcoal. The wood I use is smaller than you'd likely use in a WSM. For the kettle, I normally use pieces about 1" x 1" x 3".

Oh! Oh! My grill isn't always this clean and shiny...

###

Thanks a million for the tips, just getting me more interested in doing one this weekend! Your grill does look immaculate, well done. Hopefully this weekend I'll get one going. I live in Central IL, so not sure on the weather this weekend, but I have a good windbreak that I can always use. Stay tuned for some results and hopefully some pics too. Thanks again!

Mike

Thanks a million for the tips, just getting me more interested in doing one this weekend! Your grill does look immaculate, well done. Hopefully this weekend I'll get one going. I live in Central IL, so not sure on the weather this weekend, but I have a good windbreak that I can always use. Stay tuned for some results and hopefully some pics too. Thanks again!

Mike </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Mike,

Sorry, I missed your location. I must have looked right at it and I still missed it. Good luck!

###

D. L., if I missed it, sorry, but what temp do you pull your eye of round off at?

Larry, where does your cut top out at if you pull at 125º after searng at 450º?

Thanks guys,

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
Larry, where does your cut top out at if you pull at 125º after searng at 450º?

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It will rise about 5º or so, less than it normally since the meat is only being briefly seared, due to the initial indirect portion of the cook.

Alright !! I have an eye of round on the WSM running at 225º with 2 fatties. Gonna take it to 145º (i'd pull earlier but i'd be the only on eating it
icon_rolleyes.gif
) Used K original with apple and cherry pellets. Sure hope this turns out...

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Hays:
D. L., if I missed it, sorry, but what temp do you pull your eye of round off at?
Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Bill,

Sorry! I was going to respond but forgot...

I usually pull mine, if I'm going to serve to other people at about 160 degrees F. I usually have such a good smoke ring, that, when combined with a pink center, puts a lot of folks off. I don't tent or anything like that, I just let them rest on the cutting board for about 30 minutes. I take this to a lot of pot lucks with friends and family. I've seen people look at the pink and shy away if they are too pink.

Like you, when it's just my wife and me, I take them off a little earlier--maybe 150 or 155 degrees F. Still, no tenting during the resting period.

If you like yours more rare, I don't see anything wrong with pulling earlier and doing some tenting.

Because of the shape and size of these roasts and, specifically, being cooked low and slow I wouldn't expect as much rise after tenting as some larger, bulkier cuts of meat.

Again, sorry for forgetting...

###

Cool
icon_cool.gif
It's just for us and we understand the smokering (and cured meat) issues.
icon_wink.gif
I was more concerned with the tenderness of the beef if I took it to too high of a temp. The family won't stand for juices that are running red either. Any help would be appreciated ~ she's at 124º as I type..

Bill

Cool
icon_cool.gif
It's just for us and we understand the smokering (and cured meat) issues.
icon_wink.gif
I was more concerned with the tenderness of the beef if I took it to too high of a temp. The family won't stand for juices that are running red either. Any help would be appreciated ~ she's at 124º as I type..

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you want tender, slice it paper thin if you can. If you have a slicer that is the best way IMO. They're still edible if you slice them thicker, but paper thin is the way to go.

Back