Beef Ribs Smoked On Smokey Joe...

D. L. Whitehead

TVWBB Super Fan
Howdy hi all,

Well, it was only a matter of time before I tried to smoke beef ribs on Smokey Joe. Today was that day. I've previously posted about smoking a small pork butt on Smokey Joe. And, I posted some additional information about using Smokey Joe as a smoker along with some smoked drumstick photos.

A local store sometimes stocks Beef Rib Nubbins... So, here they are--smoked on Smokey Joe and used as an appetizer for tonight's dinner.

Beef_Rib_Nubbins_02.jpg

Nubbins_On_Grill_01.jpg

Nubbins_On_Grill_02.jpg

Beef_Rib_Nubbins_Done_01.jpg

Sometimes great things come off small smokers...

###

those look great. I don't mean to detract from your post/cook/method, but are you sure that your aluminum baffle is safe? I tossed all of my cookware that's even aluminum colored and went with stainless.

Originally posted by Clint:
those look great. I don't mean to detract from your post/cook/method, but are you sure that your aluminum baffle is safe? I tossed all of my cookware that's even aluminum colored and went with stainless.

aluminum foil is totally safe for cooking as is aluminum pots and pans. the only caveat is do not cook highly acidic foods in sluminum cookware as it will eat holes throught he metal.

Originally posted by Clint:

Hi Clint,

Where would one draw the line? What about Weber's use of aluminum in vents and doors and charcoal baskets? What about all those millions of Arkla/Falcon gas/propane grills with cast aluminum construction? My mother fed me hundreds of the best pies baked in aluminum pie pans. Beyond aluminum, where would the worries stop? What really IS in that charcoal? What pesticide residue remains in smoke wood or lump charcoal? Hormones, natural or otherwise, in the beef, chicken or pork? One can find "research" to support just about any side of any issue. I'm not in the least worried about the safety of the aluminum I am using. But, hey, if I had stainless steel, I probably would have used it instead of aluminum--but, not because of an aluminum safety issue. And, I'm not about to toss out my mother's pie pans.

Thanks,

###

OT: I watched my step-grandpa's slide from alzheimers, read somewhere about highly concentrated aluminum being found in their brain or organs. I noticed this connection & based on my life experience I must've put more weight behind the 'avoid aluminum' side of the argument. I admit my ignorance here, as well as my fear and reason to avoiding ingesting the stuff.

There certainly are things in the food supply that people should avoid. The aluminum/Alzheimer's connection has been debunked pretty thoroughly, though. Nothing to worry about there.

Back on topic, that is one sweet little setup for a small cook. Does it require a lot of tending?

That looks pretty darn cool there D.L.

And this thread has bubbled to the top with perfect timing (for me at least). As I will be trying to cook some Baby Backs on a Weber Compact job this weekend (I got a post around here somewhere.....).

Wow, that is way cool. Check out that smoke ring you were able to get. It sure looks mighty tasty. Yum....Thanks...

Originally posted by Carl H.:
SNIP
Back on topic, that is one sweet little setup for a small cook. Does it require a lot of tending?

Hi Carl,

It is sweet! I smoked some more chicken drumsticks today. Another very good smoke.

I've been learning the ins and outs of the tending requirements. Yesterday, with the beef rib nubbins, I was able to hold a 220-230 degrees F. range very consistently for 3 hours with just one temperature adjustment. I'm really confident one could do a very consistent 4-hour low and slow cook without adding charcoal and with little to no temperature adjustment once it's settled in. Oh, yeah. It settles in really quickly.

It is very sensitive to adjustments. Temperature changes come relatively quickly too. If you do take the lid off to tend the coals, ashes, wood or meat, it comes back up to temperature quickly as well.

For the 220-230 degrees F. smoke yesterday, I started with about 16 unlit briquettes and put 8 lit briquettes in a center "V-type" placement you can probably see in some of my photos. For today's chicken, I smoked at a higher temperature, 270-300 degrees F., and started with 11 lit briquettes and about 12 unlit.

It's really easy to use or I wouldn't do it. I tended the kettle about once an hour the first 2 or 3 cooks to gain an understanding of Smokey Joe's needs. I think I've got it figured out now and it gets easier and easier with every smoke.

###

Fantastic! I've got to try this myself this weekend. There's an Asian meat market nearby where I can get some of them beef ribs cut to size.
They usually slice them thin for grilling for the Asian customers.

Originally posted by Dupree:
SNIP
I will be trying to cook some Baby Backs on a Weber Compact job this weekend (I got a post around here somewhere.....).

Hi Dupree,

I hope your BBs will be a success. Apparently, I missed your post about it.

I must warn you. Smokey Joe Silver kettles have a very tiny capacity. And, the lid doesn't offer much clearance.

At least the way I have mine setup, I can only smoke about six large drumsticks, or a single 2 lb. meatloaf, or a single 2.5 lb. pork butt roast. The beef rib nubbins were pretty small. Look at the photo with the 25-cent-piece for size comparison--those were tiny little rib portions.

Good luck!

###

Back