Beef Ribs not as good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
I've done pork ribs (spares and baby back) following steps I've seen on this site, but I don't think I've heard too much on beef ribs.

Any reason (are they not as good)? Any recipes? I'd like to give them a try...

David-

I've done lots of beef ribs, and I think they are every bit as good as pork ribs when done right. Doing them right, however, takes a fair amount of time, and the yield is not as good as on spares. I think this is a big reason that many don't do them. Also, it is often difficult to find whole slabs of beef ribs in my area, so that may be a deterrent as well. Here are some I did (actually, as you can see from the fat on this one, they could have gone a little longer on the cooker):
BeefRibsCooked_SlicedRib.jpg

Beef Ribs a la Me

Hope that helps!

Rich G.

Beef ribs taste ok, but I find them very fatty. Sometimes trying to get through and around the fat to the meat leave a big mess.

I also find beef ribs have allot more tendon and come out chewy despite extra long cooks.

As with most things, it's all about personal preferences. I really love beef ribs, and despite their tougher tendons and addiotional fat, I actually prefer them over baby backs. I think the meat itself has a lot more flavor than pork ribs.

I've only done them once, because they were on sale when I picked up some bb's. I had to pick through the stack to get a rack that didn't have the meat trimmed out from between the bone! I cooked them just like the bb's, only a little longer. They were very flaverful, my rib tester, yes, I have an offical rib tester but that's a whole different post. He liked them better than the bb's. My wife didn't care for them much, but I liked them. They could have stood some more time on the smoker as they were a little tough. I'll cook some more if the price is right and I can find some good ones.

Ed

NOT BBQ, BUT REAL GOOD!
I do beef short ribs French style -- braised in the oven (yeah, indoors) with onions, celery, carrots, garlic, bacon, chicken broth and about half a bottle of red wine. Just sear up the meat real good, and throw it in a roaster with everything else. Cover it with foil and let it cook at 300 for about 3 hours or until the meat is falling off the bone. Serve it with mashed spuds and the other half of that bottle of red wine. Whoo boy it's a treat!

I made some beef back ribs this past weekend...I marinated them for a day and a half in salt, sugar, garlic powder, soy sauce, sake, water, and a big can of pineapple chunks with juice ... grilled them on the smokey joe until the outsides were nice and toasty...they were very good, my wife wants them again next weekend /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back