Beef Ribs Help

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
Looking for some suggestions on how to cook beef ribs. I have seen some suggestion of cutting them into individual bones and then seasoning and cooking. What temps and times work best? Foiling?
Thanks for your help.

I smoked some beef ribs last year. I used my normal pork rub, but without the sugar. I cooked them at 225 until done. They were very good. I prefer pork, but I'll do beef again.

Beef ribs are delicious.

I made some this week and they were tender and juicy. I seasoned with Montreal steak spice and cooked them at 325f and they only took 3 hours if I remember correctly.

I forgot to remove the membrane and it is definitely thicker than with pork ribs so make sure you take it off.

My wife loves beef ribs, so I get to do them more than perhaps I would enjoy
icon_wink.gif
. Since I can buy them in racks of 4-6 bones a piece I do them that way. I have done them with both my pork rub and montreal steak spice.. And they are good either way. I now finish with my modified No. 5 sauce and it has kept everyone happy!!

Thanks for all the advice. I think I am going to give them a try now that I have found a source for good quality beef ribs.

With beef ribs, just watch that they aren't overly butchered. A rack of beef backs has 7 bones and should have a flat layer of meat on top. Butchered beef backs will have deep V cuts between the bones. These tend to be harder to cook right since the meat has different thicknesses across the rack.

As mentioned earlier, the membrane is thicker but pretty easy to remove. The bigger issue is the gristle along the bones that won't render even with a long slow cook. Beef backs tend to take a little more handling to keep the gristle out of your mouth.

Finally, since beef backs are so substantial, I usually save one cooked rack for the crock pot. Makes a great stew with some side garlic mash and a thin jus.

Just my 2 cents.

@James: Finding good quality beef ribs that haven't been hacked to the bone has been a chore. I found some at the local Bi-Lo that are ok. The only reason I picked them up is that they were on sale. I have to find a high quality butcher in my local area that can get me the cuts I want.

Back