beef ribs chewy??

Grant W

TVWBB Member
cooked them a few times and they are tasty, but chewy. are beef ribs as tender as pork? even foiled em this time. cant seem to get it.

What cut of beef ribs were you cooking spares, short, flanken, crosscut, english etc?

Grant, how are you cooking your beef back ribs?
Temps, length of cook, etc...
are you marinating them with ....? are you seasoning them with...??
some details man....

cooked them a few times and they are tasty, but chewy. are beef ribs as tender as pork? even foiled em this time. cant seem to get it.

May want to use foil with a little beef broth (braising) and keep them cooking until they get tender. It may take a while depending on your temps.

If they are chewy they are undercooked. They are being removed too soon.

Foiling can make cooking more efficient and even it out. Adding liquid to the foil speeds this further. Check for tender; don't cook by time.

If they are chewy they are undercooked. They are being removed too soon.

Foiling can make cooking more efficient and even it out. Adding liquid to the foil speeds this further. Check for tender; don't cook by time.

What he said. Undercooked.

BOB

back ribs, but have tried other cuts with the same outcome. i had em at 180 internal

180 internal is under cooked imho, for beef backs my favorite way is to grill them, takes about 1hr-1 1/2hrs results amazing. Better luck next time Grant.

Never met a beef rib I liked. my best success has been by overcooking and oversmoking them. Eventually they wont taste like post roast on a stick

I've done them a few times and have noticed that the ones I've bought, have a pretty tough sinew running along the bone side. Not to be confused with the traditional membrane that I remove. Even after a 2nd heat in the crock pot, this sinew remains. Very rubbery. It doesn't seem to break down.

The meat itself is tender but the bite into a rib (between the bones) is impacted by this sinew.

Would it be a good idea to try to do beef ribs with the 3-2-1 method like you do pork spares??

Well, you could. I'm not big on the whole X amount of time for this, Y amount for that, etc. For pork or beef ribs I prefer to smoke (at whatever temp, it doesn't much matter) till nicely colored, then foil with a bit of liquid (I use juice reductions, sometimes mixed with stock reduction). I cook in the foil till done - perfectly tender. Never look at a clock as it is all about tender. (Nor do I use a therm. Meat can be tender at a variety of temps. Temps do not cause tenderness.)

When the ribs are tender I remove them from the foil and return them to the grate for a few minutes to firm up. I greatly dislike ribs that are sauced during cooking so I don't do that, much preferring to serve sauce on the side. On occasion, however, I will glaze with a glaze - not a sauce. A glaze will only take a couple or three minutes to set so after a few minutes on the grate out of the foil I will apply a thin glaze veneer, give it a couple minutes to set, remove, rest a few, slice and serve.

Back