Beef Reebs

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
My wife brought these home the other day and I cringed, they didn't look meaty at all. So I took a different approach to my usual 3-2-1 with beef ribs and I was very happy with the results!

I cooked these very low with a dome temp of 215* for 5 hours and did not foil. I didn't want all the meat to pull back and render all of the goodness out. I sauced at the 4.5hr mark and added a little additional rub.

5--25-08001-2.jpg
5--25-08006.jpg
5--25-08018-2.jpg
5--25-08023.jpg
5--25-08026-2.jpg
5--25-08036-2.jpg
5--25-08037-2.jpg
5--25-08039-2.jpg

i have yet to do beef ribs on the WSM. i did them twice on the chargriller with side fire box that i used to have and both times they were MEH.. i may have to get some beef ribs next weekend. i bet some dizzy pig cowlick mixed with a little turbinado would be great on them. or maybe i can quit procrastinating and order some of your rubs.

Tony, those beef ribs look incredible! Can you give us the rub you used? I am looking to do beef ribs in the next couple of weeks or so. I can only pray my ribs turn out as good as those look!

On this Memorial day weekend, God Bless all those who served and gave of themselves freely to keep us free!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Towning:
Tony, those beef ribs look incredible! Can you give us the rub you used? I am looking to do beef ribs in the next couple of weeks or so. I can only pray my ribs turn out as good as those look!

On this Memorial day weekend, God Bless all those who served and gave of themselves freely to keep us free! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Uummmm ... Those were Larry's ribs.
icon_wink.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim Towning:

On this Memorial day weekend, God Bless all those who served and gave of themselves freely to keep us free! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tim,
I used a rub that I have on the market and Chris A. has requested I do not discuss my products on the forum. You can e-mail me at bigdaddyskins56 at gmail dot com and I can give you more information. Thanks!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:

Tim,
I used a rub that I have on the market and Chris A. has requested I do not discuss my products on the forum. You can e-mail me at bigdaddyskins56 at gmail dot com and I can give you more information. Thanks! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Well, Larry can't tell you about it but I can. Check out www.WolfeRub.com for his rubs and other products. Primo Grills, Cookshack products, BBQ Delight pellets and some thermometers . He has pretty good prices too! I've tried his rubs and they're pretty good!!
icon_cool.gif

Bill
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ken McCrary:
Man those look good. Where do ya'll get your beef ribs? Local buthcher? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ken, I got a rack of beef ribs today at the local Publix up here in Woodstock. Very meaty, no grooves carved out from between the bones. $1.99 a pound too.. cheap eats, for beef.

I grew up in Grayson and was actually visiting a friend there last night. IIRC, the Publix at Pharrs and Scenic Highway is a good one. Give their meat department a shot. They're often pretty pricey, but the service from my Publix is second-to-none. They do all kinds of special orders, so even if you don't see it in the fresh case, ask the butcher and he can probably order up some extra meaty ribs.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ken, I got a rack of beef ribs today at the local Publix up here in Woodstock. Very meaty, no grooves carved out from between the bones. $1.99 a pound too.. cheap eats, for beef.

I grew up in Grayson and was actually visiting a friend there last night. IIRC, the Publix at Pharrs and Scenic Highway is a good one. Give their meat department a shot. They're often pretty pricey, but the service from my Publix is second-to-none. They do all kinds of special orders, so even if you don't see it in the fresh case, ask the butcher and he can probably order up some extra meaty ribs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Dan I'll give them a try.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
My wife brought these home the other day and I cringed, they didn't look meaty at all. So I took a different approach to my usual 3-2-1 with beef ribs and I was very happy with the results!

I cooked these very low with a dome temp of 215* for 5 hours and did not foil. I didn't want all the meat to pull back and render all of the goodness out. I sauced at the 4.5hr mark and added a little additional rub.

5--25-08001-2.jpg
5--25-08006.jpg
5--25-08018-2.jpg
5--25-08023.jpg
5--25-08026-2.jpg
5--25-08036-2.jpg
5--25-08037-2.jpg
5--25-08039-2.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE> what do you mean by did not foil? sorry.. i just want to learn everything so that when i actually smoke, its perfect!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Virgil A.:
what do you mean by did not foil? sorry.. i just want to learn everything so that when i actually smoke, its perfect! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I typically foiled my ribs with aluminum foil, both pork and beef during the middle of the cook. What foiling does is it helps steam, braise and expedite the cooking process of the meat you're foiling. Foiling is not necessary, but it helps when you're in a rush and it also will provide a consistently good finished product. But if leave the meat in the foil for an extended period of time while cooking, it can overcook the meat and turn it to mush.

Back