Beef Recommendation

C Greenlee

Just got my WSM today and have a family get together this weekend and am looking for a BEEF(no Brisket) recommendation from those experienced with them. I'm going to do 2 Pork Butts so I am looking for a ROAST to add on the last 4-6 hours. (I've been cooking on Big Green Egg for the last 2 years so I know enough to get me started but I am still a novice in BBQ, primarily have done ribs and pork) Some of the wife's family won't eat pork so she asked me to do an alternative. Would like to be able to SLICE not Shred for Sandwiches and give guest choice of Horseradish or BBQ Sauce.

Thanks for the help. Great forum here.

Chris

I would either go with beef ribs or a chuck roast. A chuck roast will make very good pulled beef. Welcome to the board.

C,

Welcome to the forum!

Not to overly complicate things, but if their reason for not eating pork is religious, you might want to check if it will be a problem for them if the beef cooks WITH the pork, or sits under the pork (pork dripping on it) or whatever. I don't know the rules of those faiths; just thought I'd throw that out there.....

Some of the wife's family won't eat pork so she asked me to do an alternative. Would like to be able to SLICE not Shred for Sandwiches and give guest choice of Horseradish or BBQ Sauce.

Thanks for the help. Great forum here.

Chris

I always think tri-tips are fantastic sliced on sandwiches. Although most tri-tips that I get only take about an hour on the smoker. When you pull the butts, do the tri's while you are letting the butts rest. I smoke them at 225-ish with one small chunk of pecan, and rub them with Plowboys Bovine Bold, but any good steak rub will do. Check temps after about 30 minutes. I usually pull at 130 internal then give them a sear on a grill pan or a gasser for about 2 mins per side. Usually get a perfect medium. Slice it against the grain, which is harder than it sounds on tri-tips. My rule of thumb, if you slice it and the face of the slice looks like this : =====
slice it the other way so it looks like this: :::::

I second the chuck recommendation...you can pull it just like the pork butts and it makes a TERRIFIC sandwich.

Do you have BI-LO stores in your area? They have boneless chucks for $1.99 this week and they're surprisingly nice cuts. I rub and smoke it until it hits 155', foil with broth heated with a couple of cloves of chopped garlic, place in a 350' oven for 2-3 hrs, remove at 200', rest it for 30 min., and slice. Spoon some of the drippings over the slices.

For slicing, go with a tri tip or even flank. If you can't get that, try an eye of round cooked to medium rare. That'll be like roast beef sandwiches.

Welcome aboard, by the way.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have been doing beef roasts instead of brisket for a while now. Some one always has roast on sale, never brisket. There is less waste too! I go lighter on the rub then lets say a pork butt because they are thinner as opposed to pork butt. I did beef last night and pulled it off the wsm at 165 degrees, in like 5 hours at 240 lid temp. I was not "pull-able" like pulled pork but very tasty and sliced like a dream. I have spent way to much money on brisket only to have it turn out tough and dry. If I wanted it fall apart tender it could've let it go and foiled it too then shred it.

Dean, brisket shouldn't be tough if you let it cook low and slow long enough. Depending on the particular piece of meat, that could mean over 10 hours. I once had a small 4 lb flat that took 9 hours before it was done. It took forever, but when it was finally finished, it could only be described as magical.

C, I was also going to recommend tri-tip, but since it's been said, how about this: MEATLOAF!

I'm a recent convert to smoked meatloaf and now I can't see doing it any other way.

Back