Beef on Weck ideas

WillieWilliams

Each summer since I've owned my home I have put on a big themed BBQ. I like doing themes because it gets people thinking about what we're having months before they arrive, especially when I get something fun. After the expense of last years "That 70s BBQ", we're doing a NY BBQ. There are many areas of NY that have local favorites that just seem to only be known in that area. I am adapting these favorites and turning them into the BBQ/grilled interpretations that entertain me. Some of the transitions have been simple, others have been more challenging. One in particular is making me second guess myself so I thought I'd come here and get some ideas.

Most people know Buffalo NY as the birthplace of Buffalo wings. Locally, they also appreciate a sandwich called Beef on Weck - sliced beef on Kummelweck rolls (kaiser rolls with coarse salt and caraway seeds). I have decided to adapt this sandwich by smoking the beef.

I decided on Brisket, simply because I love smoked brisket more than anything in this world. I have made it often enough that I have the process down and barring any unexpected weather should be able to make a solid sandwich. Traditionally the beef is a roast beef dipped in au jus, and my wife is really busting my chops and encouraging me to just do roast beef. I have only done a beef roast once, and I wasn't 100% happy with the final product, so I am resisting.

And, lastly, I am debating how I want to do the au jus.

Anyone have some ideas? The BBQ is the last weekend of August, so I still have plenty of time to change my mind a million times.

You can do the smoked beef easy as everything else.

It should be done on higher-than-smoking temps though because it is a lot leaner than say pork butt and there is nothing to render out. Like in a regular oven, at about 325o. Set up your unit the same as always (minion, wood, etc) but keep the vents open to maintain the 325-375o temps.

Cooking time is the same as for oven cooking--20min or so per lb so.

Because of the higher heat, adjust your start times accordingly. Use your fav rub (or none: none works good too).

I've done prime rib with hickory and some cherry and it comes out mmm mmmm good.

For the jus (I wanted gravy but principle is the same), put the roast on the top rack and a pan to catch the juices on the bottom rack (under the meat).

There are several suggestions in "Cooking Topics". Here is one:
http://virtualweberbullet.com/ribroast1.html

In Chris' various suggestions, temps vary from 325 to 375 to over 400. It depends on what you want to do or feel comfortable with. Any of those higher temps
will work, you just adjust your cooking times.

Lastly, it doesn't have to be Prime Rib. I picked up an eye of round the other week and did the smoke routine. I'm lucky enough to own a pro slicer and was able to
shave that med-rare beef to butter-tenderness. It was a lower temp cook (about 275) and I just monitored the internal temps to 135-140, removed and foiled it for about
an hour till ready to eat.

Like butter ;)

Go cheap, cook rare to med-rare, slice thin.

Last edited:

Back