Beef Liver

Shame on me!!!! Until just now coming across this thread, I had forgotten all about liver. Going on the shopping list!! How about you other liver lovers? Had it lately? Any new ways of fixing?

Not in years and then only beef liver fried with onions or chicken liver with a bacon and onions. I'd really like to see some alternate recipes too. Thanks for the reminder -- again.

Rich, I have quite a few recipes for cooking liver with different ingredients, but this is the most different one I have. Never thought to marinate liver. :) (and it's for the grill:D)

Marinated Liver Steak

1 1/2 cups dry red wine
3/4 cup chicken stock
2 TB. olive oil
1 TB. vinegar
1 TB. lemon juice
1/2 medium-sized onion, chopped
1/2 cup minced parsley
1 1/2 bay leaves, crushed
1 tsp. whole thyme
1/2 tsp. whole basil
1/4 tsp. whole oregano
1/4 tsp. whole tarragon
1/4 tsp. whole rosemary
2 lb. piece beef liver, 2 to 2 1/2" thick

1. Combine in a pan all ingredients except the liver. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 2 minutes. Cook 5 to 10 minutes; then pour over liver. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours to 3 days.
2. To cook liver, drain and place over medium-hot coals, 10 to 12 minutes per side for rare; turn once and baste often with marinade. Makes about 6 servings

Source: Sunset "Barbecue Cookbook" 1972

Shame on me!!!! Until just now coming across this thread, I had forgotten all about liver. Going on the shopping list!! How about you other liver lovers? Had it lately? Any new ways of fixing?
liver patè.

the chicken livers are cleaned, drained and placed in a pan with already sauteed onions (light sauté as the onions will cook more with the liver), a small amount of oil to develop a sear on the livers and then add no-salt or low-salt chicken stock to cook this all in.

when nearing done, the livers will break with a spoon without much effort, then add salt and pepper to taste.

let cool in the pan for 15 minutes then whirl through the food processor till smooth.

scrape from processor and fridge overnight or you can serve it warm (don't let is cool after cooking it, just whirl it through the processor). it tastes darn good warm on thin baguette slices with thinly sliced tomato and a little salt on the tomato to brighten it up.

if fridging over night, add in sliced hard boiled eggs the next day and mix to incorporate. this too goes well on a sandwich, on a plate with salad, or any way you want to enjoy it.

over the years i have reduced the oil amount in this recipe as i found the oil to make it too rich to enjoy. the stock method allows for a clean liver flavor profile without the gluttony of oil. i hope this description makes sense to you.

having cooked this dish for 30+ years now, i have perfected the way we like to eat it.

another good way is to wash the livers, S&P them, skewer them and grill above coals. served over steamed rice with chicken kabobs, this method has loads of flavor and is a cleaner way to enjoy chicken liver.

Last edited:
What ever you do, do NOT over cook it. My mother made liver and it was shoe leather. My wife makes great liver, just a little pink inside.

We had it fairly often when I was a kid, I didn’t care much for it then but, have since learned more about the delicacies of calf, beef and chicken, goose or duck liver! Offal is not awful as so many people think, it can be a real delight when treated carefully.

Thank you for the proper use of the word offal. It's not the waste product it might sound like.

@Joan that seems a recipe well worth trying. Maybe after we move. I dream of a day with minimal crisis and urgent needs. 😵‍💫

Timothy, that looks really interesting!
Its too bad my wife isn’t interested in any of that sort of thing, chicken liver pâté is as close as she will get to much organ meats.

Our Son made this a few weeks ago.
He added some Venison stew meat also.
Soaked the liver in buttermilk and added sour cream and cream cheese at the end.
Served it for Poker night, evertone loved it.

Love calf's liver....with bacon, onions, gravy and mashed spuds.
It wasn't a stranger at our dining table when I was a kid, along with heart, lights (lung), kidneys, pig's feet etc. Offal was cheap and nutritious.
Tripe & brawn (head cheese) were others. Awful stuff. It was only my Mum that would eat it. It didn't matter being told by her that there were starving children in the world, as far as we were concerned we were more than happy if Mum sent it to them instead. :sick:

Back