Beef Jerky

Shiloh

TVWBB Member
So I have read Kevin's page on beef jerky and want to give it a go on the WSM. Problem is that I can't find TenderQuick anywhere here. So I guess two questions: 1) how important is it to cure the meat since it will be smoked and dried and 2) If it is that important is there something that is a good replacement for TQ?

I have never used Tender Quick or any other commercial curing agent and never had a problem. I bought about 6 lbs of rump roast last week and made jerky; turned out great. I'm not sure how long you can store it unrefridgerated. Mine seems to disappear within a few days...

Can't find TenderQuick? Did you ask at the store(s)?

Anyway, like Paul said, you can make some great jerky without it. The only difference is you need to treat it as you would any cooked meat. Keep refrigerated, and only for a week or so, depending on how cold your 'frige is and how "brave" you are!

icon_wink.gif

JimT

I asked at the local grocery stores. They didn't even know what I was talking about. I looked over with all the salts and there was none. We don't really have many Wal-marts here in San Diego so I haven't gotten to one. I have made jerky in a dehydrater and never cured the meat but didn't know if it is a different process that takes place. They have "London Broil" on sale here and I thought it would make good jerky. Wouldn't the Refrigerator cause it to be damp?

We don't have Bass Pro, I'm sure that I can find some of the stuff online. I just thought that maybe there was a good substitute. You know us Californians, its all sushi and tanning salons. For guys like me that like to BBQ and make homebrew there aren't a lot of options. Most people around here think that a grilled boneless skinless chicken breast is BBQ.

Shilo I to use Hi Mountain Jerky seasoning. More for a convenince. They have a variety of flavors and is very simple to use. You can order direct from them at
www.himtnjerky.com
I got lazy when it comes to making jerky. I use smoker for the first hour for smokeing the meat. Then i transfer to a food dehydrater for the remaining time. Mine has a fan for circulating air and time wise is about 1 hour dry time to 1 lb of meat. Hi mountain has a variety flavors to choose. You will not be disappointed. I posted a Apple Jerky recipe in here but i have to locate the post. My mind is not what it used to be. lol

Back