Beef Jerky and Venison Summer Sausage on my 22.5

Greetings all;

This weekend I decided to try my hand at making my own beef jerky. It took 2 rounds because round 1 did not come out good at all. Too much smoke, too much heat (spicy), etc.

Round 2, much much better.

Recipe used for 2nd round:

2.5lbs bottom round
1 bottle of Dales seasoning
3 tbsp of Liquid Smoke
McCormick Cajun Seasons

slice your bottom round to 1/4" thick, or thinner if you like. Empty into ziplock bag and pour the entire bottole of Dales as well as the liquid smoke. Make sure you shake it well prior.
Let marinade 4 hours. Drain in collander (i did not pat dry) and put on smoker. Before you cover up, shake the McCormick Cajun seaons onto the strips.

I maintained 150-165 for around 7 hours. Next time, I will use Moore's, which has 1/2 the sodium content.

Yesterday, I decided to clean out my freezer of venison burger from last hunting season....gotta make room for this year! Here are some pics of the jerky and summer sausage.

This is the first round of jerky. No bueno! :(

2nd round of jerky. MUCH better! It takes practice, haha!

Preparing the Vension Summer Sausage

Getting the smoker ready, I used the minion method and maintained temp for 275 for 1 hour, reaching IT of 165.

After 1 hour, you can see the color change, and they are looking delicious!

Paired it with some colby jack cheese, and a cracker! Man it was really really good. Wife and daughter, 4 thumbs up!

I will be doing this again in the winter!!

Thanks for looking!

Austin

Back