Beef Eye Round better than Brisket

DavidD

TVWBB Super Fan
Just curious, i had a party at the house and had local catering to include pork butt and sliced beef. To my surprise, as the last one in line as host, the beef pan was full, the pork empty. As i got closer, I realized the beef didn't look so great, brown, dry and over cooked but looks could be deceiving. I tried it and unfortunately, it was as bad as it looked. I called the bbq caterer and they said it was beef eye round, their choice b/c they've not had good luck w/ brisket and said this was as good or better. It isn't a piece of meat i am familar with so looking for your input.

EOR can be very good, but is best done as a sliced beef preparation, cooked to med-rare, rather than done as one would do a brisket. Sorry about your unfortunate catering catastrophe.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">but is best done as a sliced beef preparation, cooked to med-rare, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Agreed. EOR doesn't have the internal marbling to support thorough cooking. This can be finessed by cooking to medium-rare, medium or maybe just past it, resting, then slicing an immediately placing in a pan of jus - but... . If the caterer has not had good luck with brisket I'd be wondering about the caterer's skill.

I use it to make Chicago style beef sandwiches however I prefer a sirloin roast. You would think that a bbq service could make brisket!

I think a lot of cuts from the round have kind of a livery taste, anyway. No likey the round.

You don't say where you're from (might be nice to add your location to your profile) but out here on the West Coast, tri-tip is a great choice for a catered event. Grill a bunch in advance, wrap them in foil, hold at temp in a cooler, and then pull them out as needed to slice for guests. Been there, done that. Yummy!

Regards,
Chris

Yes, I agree, it is surprising that a bbq restaurant, and a successful one at that, admits they are not good at brisket. I've used the HH method a few times w/ terrific results, and told them so, lol.

I told my wife that we might salvage it w/ some beef broth and a microwave but to no avail. That's when i called the restaurant and reported the food. I didn't pay for it, the expense was corporate, but it bothered me that it was so poor, really no excuse for a professional. The company was extremely accomodating, did a credit for the entire beef portion of the bill and offered a complimentary meal for the family, far more than I would have expected. Still bothered by their inability to do beef right, but kudos to them for standing behind their product/service.

ps. added location

EOR cooked correctly... Great stuff! Makes a great sandwich and is even better as a cured meat!

EOR needs to be rare to med-rare.Got one in the freezer I'll be doing as soon as I pick up some charcoal this week.

I have made EOR once, as Pit Beef. Very tasty. Will definitely try again.

(or was it top round?...I'm confused)

Cheers!

Back