Beech wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Anyone out there have any experience using beech wood? I just cut down a beech tree at my place and I noticed that beech is listed on the All about smoke woods page. Should I let it season before using it? If so, how long?

Peter Hiscox

Yo Peter, All I know about beechwood is that my favorite domestic and mass produced beer is aged in beechwood barrels before it is bottled under the label of Budweiser. :)

As for seasoning wood, with any hardwood that use that was live when harvested, I let age at least six months before using. If you split the logs, this can accelerate the seasoning process.

I hope somebody does give you some input as to what types of meat go good with beechwood. To my knowledge, it is not a tree that is native to my home state of Missouri.

Budweisers to you,

Juggy D Beerman

According to Smoky Hale Beech is similar to apple,cherry, and other fruit woods.
Let's us know how it is.
Jim

Pete,
I think your a lucky guy on this one. I would be willing to bet it has a slight sweet smoke, similar to maple. You wouldn't catch me waiting, for a shot at this. I would cut some three inch diameter branches into 1" wide slices. Cut a couple dozen pieces and keep them in a warm area spread out, in front of a fan, for a week or two. I bet they loose a large percentage of moisture within that time.

Jim

Thanks for the info everyone. This was a massive tree. I've got 2 piles of beech 12' X 5' X 14" ready to split and season. Those were interesting comments on beech smoke on the link provided.

Thanks again everyone.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back