Beans

Nathan Bauer

TVWBB Fan
I've been looking for some baked bean recipes simalar to what a local bbq joint serves. They have a nice smokey flavor that's blanced well with some heat. Any ideas? If you've got a good one that isn't what I'm looking for still feel free to post it.

I have one that you don't want.
icon_smile.gif

J/K----This one is most popular.
http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...580083234#9580083234

Note that you can add heat and smoke to any recipe you like, if lacking in those departments.

Heat can be added by ground hot chile or, my preference, reconstituted whole, dry hot chilies that are then puréed and added. Fresh hot chilies, sautéed or, better, roasted, can be chopped or puréed and added for heat as well. Chipotle will add heat and smoke flavor.

Smoke can be added by cooking the beans in the smoker, drippings from the meat above going right into the pot; an addition of smoked meat you've saved from a prior cook (rib trimmings, brisket point, etc., are good for this), or bacon; or the addition of chipotle or smoked paprika. I'm not a fan of Liquid Smoke and don't use it, but that's another option.

The apple and bean recipe sounds interesting. That many smokers can't be wrong.

I wanted to add some pork in with whatever recipe I choose and make it the day before I invite some friends over for some Q. Do you think smoking a cheaper/smaller pork roast will suffice for a recipe like this?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I wanted to add some pork in with whatever recipe I choose </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Do what you need to do this time around. I like to buy full spare ribs and cut them down to St Louis cuts. I rub and smoke the trimmings with the ribs, then freeze them for adding to baked beans, etc. The best!
And, I agree with Kevin K: use real smoke flavor by adding your own smoked meat, beans, onions, etc. Liquid smoke can leave an unpleasant lingering aftertaste, imho.

Agreed.

Though not a fan of sweet beans with Q myself, smoked meats work in nearly any kind of beans you're making. Feel free to use a a smaller roast for your beans, Nathan - I'd suggest a smaller hunk of butt - or use blade steaks or the fattier country-style ribs, if you are going to smoke the meat specifically for the beans. Forgo cuts from the loin. You can smoke the meat over the beans if you wish, or smoke the meat separately, adding it later. The meat need not be 'done', just nicely smoked, since it will finish cooking in the pot of beans after you add it.

Good idea using the trimmings from St. Louis cuts. Makes more sense to do that. I'm just getting started with my WSM so I don't have any leftovers from anything yet that I could use.

As far as using liquid smoke goes... I've never used it before so it never crossed my mind to use it. Seems silly to use an imitation when you have the real thing though.

It's real, not imitation. It's condensed and concentrated. Fine line though: on one side the flavor is weak; cross that line even by a little and the flavor veers toward odd, off, unnatural or bitter.

i have smoked jimmy dean maple sausage rolls just to put in beans and it is great. i think my next batch i might use one maple roll and one hot for sweet+heat.

Back