Be Safe!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I have mentioned this before, but I once read an article in Hemmings Classic Car magazine where one of the former editors discovered he had lung cancer. His doctor said to him, “So how many years did you smoke?” He told the doc that he had never smoked in his life. But then he said that he thought about all the cars he had spray painted…

After reading that, I have tried hard to faithfully use a respirator - admittedly just a Harbor Freight one - but still a big step up from a paper mask. I am leaving Wednesday to volunteer in relief work in western North Carolina where I lived for 7 years. There are growing health issues associated with helping due to all that has happened there, so I decided I would bring my respirator and get new filters for it.

Have a look at the outside of one of my used filters vs. a new one:

IMG_6281.jpeg

I guess you can tell I mostly use black spray paint. I always spray paint outside where it easy to assume that fume exposure would be limited. Obviously, that is not enough to be safe😯.

This can be a fun and rewarding hobby, but it is not without some dangers. Wear protective gear!

This one is more expensive but allows you to change not only the filter like on mine but also the “organic vapor cartridge.” I am going to upgrade to this;

Last edited:
Yep, I used paper mask type thing when I was shooting the Kubota. They were coated pretty good. They were VERY uncomfortable to wear though. I think, if I ever undertake another restoration process or paint project like this again, I will invest in something quality that "fits" and is comfortable and more effective

What about it not allowing filter replacements? Making it "Disposable".

"DISPOSABLE AND MAINTENANCE FREE: Respirator is pre-assembled with permanently attached cartridges and is disposable - reducing the need for long-term maintenance "

No idea why they wrote it that way. The secondary cartridge is permanent. The primary filter is replaceable. I have had this for several years. And do a lot of painting with far worse materials than shaker cans.

Attachments

• IMG_7793.jpeg
    IMG_7793.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_7794.jpeg
    IMG_7794.jpeg
    172.8 KB · Views: 4

Back