Be nice to your WSM

Bob Marlatt

TVWBB Member
I made the mistake of leaving my wsm out this year. We all know or learn the hard way that it isn't watertight and the cover ain't waterproof.

I cleaned it up to make ribs for the Super Bowl. Be nice to your WSM.

Somebody looked at this picture and said, "why is there a tombstone in your backyard?
wsm_in_the_snow.jpg

Hey Bob, I have a shed in my back yard that has a little porch. Mine looked similar to that but the snow didn't really pile up around it like that. If you dig around it a little, it makes a nice wind screen.

Great picture! I keep my WSM outside all winter too. I do put a large plastic garbage bag on the cooker before adding the cover to keep the moisture out.

Oh my! All the snow. Well, we don't have the snow problem down here just the hurricane.

Happy Mardi Gras
Nicole

The company I used to work for makes tarps for dump trucks and dump trailers. I brought in my Weber cover and gave it to the tarp maker...2 days later she made me one out of waterproof/weatherproof 22ounce black vinyl! NICE!!! If anyone is interested I'm sure I could get some made...but they aren't that cheap!

Email me if you want details...my contact info is on my profile page!

My advice is to take in your WSM. I live in Chicago and there is no way i would leave my WSM out like that. Just my .02.

Be kind to your WSM
for your grill may be somebody's smoker
do not keep your grill in the swamp
where the weather is always damp,
you may think that this is the end
well it is!

[sorry, the title just reminded me of that song!]

Thanks for all the comments. That white stuff is something we in New England call "snow." This is the first winter out of four that I did not store the wsm in the shed. When I opened it up (after digging it out) the charcoal bowl was a 10 pound frozen disk of ash, coals, and grease.

It cleaned up nicely, and my first spare ribs of 2005 are done in two hours. Now I have to decide whether to put it away or leave it to the elements again.

Back