Be careful with those propane tanks!

Well, their burgers are "Flame Broiled" so....

I guess that takes "Have it your Way" to the next level....

HELP!!! Stuck Old-Style LP Tank Connector

That video raises a question I have wanted to ask here. A while back, I picked up a cool old Genesis 3000. It has a propane tank still attached with the old style connector. It is an old tank and not in great condition.

Nothing I have tried, including PB Blaster repeatedly, has made it possible to disconnect that tank from the regulator. I DO respect propane, and am afraid to go wild cranking or using a hammer on my wrench to try and free up that connector. I keep imagining the valve snapping off with sparks and - a replay of that video I wouldn't be around to see:eek:!!!!

At this point I am thinking of just cutting off the regulator hose, getting a new regulator, and disposing of the old tank.

Any alternative suggestions, or is my idea the right one? I don't feel like being blasted into eternity for a stupid regulator or old LP tank. At the same time, maybe I am overlooking something.

Last edited:
Jon, this is my two cents.

I am guessing you have a few extra tanks laying around from your used grill buying excapades. Therefor, I see little reason to go to great lengths to rescue the tank. Second, you need to replace that hose and regulator anyway, so there is no reason there to mess with trying to remove it. Therefor, I say just disconnect the hose from the grill manifold and dispose of the tank responsibly. If you prefer, I don't see any problem with simply cutting the hose. Either way, just make sure the tank is shut off before trying anything.

I wouldnt want to have to drive down to Florida to visit you in the hospital.

Jon, this is my two cents.

I am guessing you have a few extra tanks laying around from your used grill buying excapades. Therefor, I see little reason to go to great lengths to rescue the tank. Second, you need to replace that hose and regulator anyway, so there is no reason there to mess with trying to remove it. Therefor, I say just disconnect the hose from the grill manifold and dispose of the tank responsibly. If you prefer, I don't see any problem with simply cutting the hose. Either way, just make sure the tank is shut off before trying anything.

I wouldnt want to have to drive down to Florida to visit you in the hospital.

Bruce,

It would be great to visit in person sometime, but not like that! More likely, anyway, you would be coming to express condolences to my wife:eek:.

I am glad my cautious CPA instincts were probably right on this one. I agree that I should be able to cleanly disconnect the hose from the manifold. If not, I will cut the hose and then do that. I would like to be around long enough for us to plan a "TVWBB Meet" like the Weber Kettle Club does.

That video has gone viral. And you can see the guy smoking. According to a news report he had a leaking tank and tried to close it. Maybe with his cigarette lit. Almost made it for a Darwin Award.

I have posted previously, but once while living in Western NC, I brought my tank to a refill place and the crusty old guy there proceeded to do the fill with a LIT CIGARETTE hanging out of his mouth:confused::eek:!!!!

There is nothing there. I assumed it WAS there at one point considering the responses but at least 2 of us cannot see it

Back