BBQ Tongue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if I could bring myself to do that.
IMHO that would rank below a goat
icon_eek.gif

Tongue is supposed to be so velvety soft. I never thought I'd consider it but after reading The Secrets of Texas BBQ or some book like it where they sang the praises of tongue, I may just have to try it some time. Tho I'm scared, oh yes I am...!

When I see it in the market, I kinda get that same feeling when I think of Rocky Mountain Oysters
icon_eek.gif
. No thanks

I remember an old (they're all old now, I guess) episode of Sanford and Son, when Fred comes into the kitchen and sees Lamont cooking a beef tongue. Lamont asks if he wants any. "No way," Fred says. "I'm not eatin' anything that's been in a cow's mouth."

Lamont replies, "You eat eggs, don't you?"
icon_biggrin.gif

I grew up eating tongue in deli sandwiches. It was thin-sliced, and like a cross between salami and balogna. I recently had a lambs tongue salad at Babbo in New York. Imagine a little lamb's tongue, about an inch or so, licking your hand? Then slice it horizontally and saute. Freaky, but delicious.

I've been itching for a while to make a dish called "tongue 'n cheek." I've got the cheek part -- braised beef cheeks. (If you've never had these, try them. They're like a filet mignon of brisket. Textured like brisket or stew meat but meltingly tender. and, yes, it's just muscle meat -- not organ.) I needed a tongue recipe. Regular boiled tongue (which I've never had) sounds boring. This am I thought that smoking it make have a great texture and flavor. On the other hand, I think smoked meat would be too strong to pair with the cheeks.

I had beef cheeks at the end of a 7 course meal (could have been more than seven courses as we were at the 'chef's table' i.e. sitting in the kitchen) and I was too full to like them.

I like beef cheeks. Smoked and boiled tongue too, though I've never smoked it myself. Since one flavors the water when boiling tongue it might be just the thing for combining with braised cheeks.

Well, I'd have to be really soused to try it, if THIS is what it is:

Souse

Head cheese, also called souse and brawn, is a jellied loaf or sausage. Originally it was made entirely from the meaty parts of the head of a pig or calf, but now can include edible parts of the feet, tongue, and heart. The head is cleaned and simmered until the meat falls from the bones, and the liquid is a concentrated gelatinous broth. Strained, the meat is removed from the head, chopped, seasoned and returned to the broth and the whole placed in a mold and chilled until set, so it can be sliced.

Hog's Head Cheese is actually pretty tasty-- you just can't think about it too much. If you can eat raw oysters, you can eat it no problem.

Well, I've had raw oysters a few times (lightly steamed is much better) but I don't know about Hog's Head Cheese, Souse, Beef Tongue, RMO's...Guess it takes a special breed
icon_biggrin.gif
And I ain't part of it. How about pig's feet?? (just think about where they've been all their lives...)

I've made boiled tongue. After you boil it you have to skin it.The skin is tough. If you smoke it I don't know if the smoke will penatrate the skin. I don't think you can skin it raw, it will tear the meat up. I love head cheese. My friend doesn't like it. He told me he doesn't like any kind of cheese and was serious about it.

Doug,
I much prefer the salty snotty texture of a raw oyster, over souse!!

Bill,
Now pigs feet are a different thing! I love 'em! But like Doug said you can't really think about what you are eating!

Anyone tried "chitterlings"?? Unfortunately I have tried them 3 different times from three different ladies who said theirs were the best and they didn't have an odor. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!! THEY ALL TASTE AND SMELL THE SAME! Exactly like what comes out of them!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Anyone tried "chitterlings"?? Unfortunately I have tried them 3 different times from three different ladies who said theirs were the best and they didn't have an odor. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!! THEY ALL TASTE AND SMELL THE SAME! Exactly like what comes out of them!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>LOL!! Now you guys just remember.....You are what you eat
icon_biggrin.gif

Nope! Nice try...

But what parts of the hog go into the creation of scrapple? After the ham, bacon, chops and other cuts of meat are taken from the butchered pig - what remains are fixings for scrapple - including the meat scraped off the head. Scrapple may contain pork skin, pork heart, pork liver, pork tongue - even pork brains. Those faint of palate needn't venture any further.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry Wolfe:
Doug,
I much prefer the salty snotty texture of a raw oyster, over souse!!

Bill,
Now pigs feet are a different thing! I love 'em! But like Doug said you can't really think about what you are eating!

Anyone tried "chitterlings"?? Unfortunately I have tried them 3 different times from three different ladies who said theirs were the best and they didn't have an odor. LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING!! THEY ALL TASTE AND SMELL THE SAME! Exactly like what comes out of them!!! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Must have been un-slung. Always insist on slung chittlin's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back