BBQ temp probe at the cooking grate

Dom R

TVWBB Super Fan
I was thinking about doing the grommet hole thing for my ET 732 instead of putting the bbq probe thru the vent. It works thru the vent but it's a bit of a pain to take the probe out everytime you open the lid.
The only concern I have with the bbq probe being near the grates is the drippings from whatever is being cooked will drip onto the bbq probe and give you incorrect readings. Anyone have any issues with the bbq probe getting meat drippings when it's inserted through the grommets close to the grate? I don't see this being a problem with the food probe.

Are you planning to hook the probe under the meat? I only temped @ the grate once and then I hooked it next to the meat.

Tim

I use a wooden clothes pin to attach the probe on the top grate, next to the meat. The hole in the clothes pin spring is just the right size for the probe to fit through, and nothing drips on the probe.

The probe "holder" that comes with the 732 will work just fine ONTOP of the grate. Or what am i missing?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dom R:
I was thinking about doing the grommet hole thing for my ET 732 instead of putting the bbq probe thru the vent. It works thru the vent but it's a bit of a pain to take the probe out everytime you open the lid.
The only concern I have with the bbq probe being near the grates is the drippings from whatever is being cooked will drip onto the bbq probe and give you incorrect readings. Anyone have any issues with the bbq probe getting meat drippings when it's inserted through the grommets close to the grate? I don't see this being a problem with the food probe. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Dom,
IMHO, the best place to check the overall cooking temps is the lid vent and there's where I place the bbq probe of my 732. I stick it in one hole of the vent down about 3 inches then make a slight bend in the probe wire to hold it in place. Easy to remove if you need to.

Think about where your oven thermostat sensing bulb is. Pretty much always at the top, mounted on the sides or back.

Scotty W.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wolgast:
The probe "holder" that comes with the 732 will work just fine ONTOP of the grate. Or what am i missing? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You are correct. I was thinking where do you put the probe when you are cooking a huge butt, brisket or whatever else that takes up most of the grate? I guess when you run out of space you have to place it through the vent hole. Thanks

Back