BBQ Pitmasters

TomB

I thought tonights show was much better than last weeks. Actually picked up a couple of things. But, did one team get screwed?

Of course one team got screwed. Its the new format, BBQ is not grilling. They took a good thing a ruined it. Grilling rattlesnake has nothing to do with BBQ. I honestly do not know why I watched it except I cannot turn away from a trainwreck in progress.

While the show is not great, I'm still happy that all these different teams are getting exposure. It was nice to see Yazoo's Delta Q win.

But, did one team get screwed?

Didn't see it as I'm on the road and won't see it as I've taken it off my TiVo record list. However, I did hear from a friend that a very good local (to me) team, a repeat California BBQ Team of the year got voted off because due to his snake dish. Snake, lol.

All I can say is this season is a train wreck. It is such a different format why did they even keep the name?

I vote for the old one back but with more teams exposed.

I was wondering if most people agreed with me that it was a terrible show..I stopped watching when they brought out the rattlesnake..Looks like the "hollywood types" have ruined a good thing

Well here how it should be , if you get eliminated it should be over your pork turn in only.Anything past that is a nything but and they should only give one of those per contestant. But they are after the ratings , they could have done better , may be they will, maybe they wont, fliming is over so not much more our griping gonna do . If any one shoul; email the network that produced this , comments should be helpful and not flameing. Maybe they will get enought to help thmn solve the way they set up more shows.

I'm very disapointed with the second season, especially as the first was so good.

Did anybody else notice at the beginning, when the teams and their equipment were introduced, Melissa Cookston from Yazoo's Delta Q said that she would be using a simple charcoal grill. The grill was square and looked something like a
Meco Walkabout, but the text said 'Weber charcoal grill'.

-Mark.

I certainly don't like the new "game show" format.

A critical 'production' note - you know somethings wrong with the quality of the 'cooking content' if they devote so much air time to someone becoming ill.

Question - if you've never eaten rattlesnake, how in the heck are you supposed to be able to judge what it's supposed to taste like or prepared properly?!

I remember the first time I ate seal and whale while in Norway. I was overwhelmed by the anticipation/expectation and could only tell you it was 'different' and that I'd eat it again. But judge it? No way.

I agree with the overall sentiment that this years show is not as good as last years. It's not just about BBQ and it's got a game/reality show format. What I see is they have added two real twists beyond the "being voted off the island" part. Those 2 are the requirement to cook something unusual, like rattlesnake and the addition of a side dish requirement.

Looking at the product (i.e. the show) more generally, someone who is a BBQ "Pitmaster" should be able to competently cook different kinds of things beyond pork, chicken, and beef. So in a way I get that part of it. However, if there was a part of the show I would like them to lose, this would be it for many of the reasons people say here (how do you judge rattlesnake if you've never had it?).

I don't mind the idea of a side dish because, let's face it, more than likely you're going to get top-notch BBQ from the majority of the entrants. I think the side dish is a good way to *fairly* choose between two very close candidates. Make sense?

Just about the only thing I like about this new show so far is the tension between the judges. Lots of head shaking and eye rolling, especially from Art Smith. Too funny!

Regards,
Chris

Originally posted by Chris Allingham:
Just about the only thing I like about this new show so far is the tension between the judges. Lots of head shaking and eye rolling, especially from Art Smith. Too funny!

Regards,
Chris

Seriously, this is dead on.

Did anybody else notice at the beginning, when the teams and their equipment were introduced, Melissa Cookston from Yazoo's Delta Q said that she would be using a simple charcoal grill. The grill was square and looked something like a
Meco Walkabout, but the text said 'Weber charcoal grill'.

Well, I just deleted the show so I can't go look back, but I believe Melissa was cooking mainly with several Backwoods Smokers. The Bare Bones team was using all Webers, a combination of grills and cookers. And I recall one of the other teams saying they had a Weber grill.

I actually like how they changed the format, because we get to see so many different teams and so many diffrent varaiations of a cook. I can't wait for the finale!

I'm putting my money where my mouth is and not watching it period. Only way to show these dopes they screw'd-up a great program.

Originally posted by Scott C M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chris Allingham:

Regards,
Chris

Seriously, this is dead on. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean dead a#@ on.
icon_smile.gif

The game show format isn't the greatest. I also preferred last year's format. I do however like it when they discuss their equipment they brought & how they are going to cook the meat. To bad that only lasts about 5 min for an hour long show.

Back