BBQ Pitmasters...TLC

Erik Snyder

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone watched this shoe? I think it's pretty well done overall. Amazed at how many WSM's you see next to some of the big pits.

Yeah, Erik, several here watch it .... putting the drama aside, you can get some ideas from some seasoned pros
icon_rolleyes.gif
You'll hear/see it mentioned in the TVWB from time to time
icon_smile.gif

Its ok. The drama and the way the edit the show to make the drama is pretty lame but it's cool to see all those webers lol

I love the fact that Johnny Trigg is mentoring Paul. Frankly I find it very touching and I have great respect for both of them for doing this. It's good to see that Paul has learned a little humility since his deput. Even Myron was giving helpful hints to some young upstarts.
It seems that everyone competing has a WSM for a back-up, if not for the main smoker.

I have watched several episodes and it is good TV. I find it strange that everyone tries to do the same thing and that all the recipes are super sweet. I personally don't like sweet. I think it would be more interesting if the judging involved a score for originality.

Saw it once. Couldn't stand to watch "Myron" anymore. I think that's what his name was anyway. The guy was a total @#$%.

I love this show, one of few i actually make time to sit down and watch. how many shows are there on BBQ competitions? none. i'll take it over any other cooking show anyday.

I've watched a few episodes and have my DVR set to record more.

It would be nice if they concentrated more on the BBQ instead of the drama. I think out of an hour, there is about 10 minutes worth of interesting BBQ info.

Myron is a self-centered prick. Yea he is probably awesome at what he does but he could lose the arrogance. I also wonder if his wife every speaks or if he orders her to be quiet. And his comment about never changing the process or the recipe sounds sort of boring.

The korean guy (Slap yo daddy?) cracks me up because he has every excuse in the book why his BBQ isn't right.

I also thought when Myron was talking about the 'types of people' that come to those large competitions that a lot of us would probably be in the "They just get a spot and do some BBQn just so they can party" category.

I know for a fact that Myron is a nice guy. Most of what he is doing on the show doesnt catch the sarcasm he uses when teasing others. It is mostly all in jest but to understand that you would have to meet him.
Its more "smack talk" than anything else. There is a lot of that between teams and if you cant take a joke, well you probably wont be invited to the party.

I have learned some good stuff from the show too. If you watch it very close you can get some real good tips. I DVR every show and rewind a lot.
icon_smile.gif

I really liked the show where Tuffy gave Myron a shigging cup. I am very good friends with Shigs n Pit BBQ team where that "shigging" came from. What a fun group of guys and gals. The real story behind the "shigging" is long and funny but it is best when told by Shigs n Pit. I have 2 cups and they never miss a comp.

Rant over and thanks for listening.

dale, the problem is that most don't know the folks on the show. so it comes off petty and not friendly, etc. to me it shows very little about bbq itself. it just becomes a "show" with no real depth at all. if one is new to bbq this would not be a show to watch.

i haven't seen enough episodes to notice the "slap yo daddy" guys making lots of excuses, but i DO know that they've won LOTS of
awards, including being almost the only team in KCBS history to win all 4 categories in a state championship. and they do it out of a minivan with only 2 webers. they get my respect.

Originally posted by Dale Perry:

I have learned some good stuff from the show too. If you watch it very close you can get some real good tips. I DVR every show and rewind a lot.
icon_smile.gif

Yes...I just watched the latest episodes...both KC Amer Royal shows and found myself rewinding to catch the small details that seem to make the difference.

One of the things that strikes me is how similar everyone's food looks. God, The chicken looks identical on everyone box. I have definitely learned a bunch about trimming meat. Wow! They really take that seriously. As far as Myron, I'm sure Dale is right. Someone has to be the villan on the show. I'm sure TLC picked them out this way. They have the old guy, the cocky rookie, the newbies, the chick, and Myron. t does make me want to enter a competition someday...someday.

As others have said, I can do without the drama. I mean, if you're watching "The Deadliest Catch", it's OK to be dramatic- guys getting washed off the boat by rogue waves, etc. But the format doesn't work for "Pitmasters". Heck, this is something that every one of us does in our backyard!

John P

I'm no bbq expert but everything that they have mentioned on the show I've already seen on this website. Just take it for what it is, a TV show. If there wasn't any drama not too many people would watch, or at least not as many as do now. What a lot of people watching need to realize is what Paul realized after being coached by Johnny Trigg. You are not cooking food you like, but what the judges will like. Eating BBQ and Competition BBQ are two very different things. That being said I do watch the show and enjoy it. Kind of makes me want to give local competing a try sometime and any success that I would have would all be contributed to this forum and the generous people posting here. I can never thank everyone enough.

As a BBQ n00b, I had high hopes for this show, but it really showed me that "Competition BBQ" is a huge waste of time and good meat.

It pains me to see Harry Soo take a taste of his bbq sauce, cringe at how horrible it is, yet still submit it into the content because that's how he think the judges like it. Talk about "sell out". And it's not just him... a few others mentioned that they don't eat BBQ the way they prepare it for competition.

Most discouraging is the voting system. Not even the 488 judges in the last episode, but the fact that not every judge tastes every entry is absurd. Why even hold it on the same day? Just have a "national" bbq contest with judges in every major city... tally up completely subjective votes and hand out a "grand champion" prize. What a joke.

That said, I have a season pass for the show on my Tivo because I love bbq so much!
hide.gif

Myron doesn't normally get on my nerves, but his utter dislike of Chris Lilly was uncalled for. He's mad at the guy because he went into the restaurant business. Why? It doesn't add up. Especially since Myron is backing his own products and selling franchises right on his site. I say, be happy for someone willing to let the public enjoy his talents.

Chris was an outright class act and handled Myron well.

Back