BBQ Pitmasters...TLC

Euge, I've been judging in one of those contests where you taste every entry. I had to judge ribs in a contest with 29 teams. By about the 10-12th entry I was wondering if I'd ever finish PLUS the tastes after awhile all run together unless you get one that really pops(i don't just mean good). By tasting a smaller sample you can judge more subjectively. You can taste the little nuances that are in the meat. On that one contest I couldn't wait to finish and I LOVE ribs. Smaller samples better judging.

Originally posted by euge.lee:
As a BBQ n00b, I had high hopes for this show, but it really showed me that "Competition BBQ" is a huge waste of time and good meat.

It pains me to see Harry Soo take a taste of his bbq sauce, cringe at how horrible it is, yet still submit it into the content because that's how he think the judges like it. Talk about "sell out". And it's not just him... a few others mentioned that they don't eat BBQ the way they prepare it for competition.

Most discouraging is the voting system. Not even the 488 judges in the last episode, but the fact that not every judge tastes every entry is absurd. Why even hold it on the same day? Just have a "national" bbq contest with judges in every major city... tally up completely subjective votes and hand out a "grand champion" prize. What a joke.

That said, I have a season pass for the show on my Tivo because I love bbq so much!
hide.gif

Originally posted by paul h:
Euge, I've been judging in one of those contests where you taste every entry. I had to judge ribs in a contest with 29 teams. By about the 10-12th entry I was wondering if I'd ever finish PLUS the tastes after awhile all run together unless you get one that really pops(i don't just mean good). By tasting a smaller sample you can judge more subjectively. You can taste the little nuances that are in the meat. On that one contest I couldn't wait to finish and I LOVE ribs. Smaller samples better judging.

You drink wine? Ever go to a huge wine tasting? Spit out the food if tasting every entry would cause you to get too full. You don't swallow every wine you drink at a large wine tasting event, they have spit buckets so that you can get everything you need to know from a wine, but not totally drunk in the process beyond the point of discernment. Same could be true for bbq and fullness (although a bit more gross).

Makes no sense to award 1st and 2nd place when they most likely were judged by two totally different teams. If it's all in fun, then yeah, who cares... I just thought winning a competition was a more serious thing, I guess not.

and I just read ratings are low, so they are begging people to watch or it won't be renewed for a second season.

I watched this show for the first 1.5 episodes before I gave up on it, it really didnt impress me. Too much of folks runnig at the mouth, etc.

Not my kind of bbq

Originally posted by Jim Quinn:
I watched this show for the first 1.5nd episodes before I gave up on it, it really didnt impress me. Too much of folks runnig at the mouth, etc.

Not my kind of bbq

Agree with most everyone on the drama, swearing, Myron, etc...but the parts I find the intriging are the different BBQ pits these people have. How many thousands of $$ do you think Myron's complete set-up cost??

I've seen every episode now, and is anyone else done with the show?

I got to hit the fast forward on the dvr every time Wood Chicks is on (oh look, her boyfriend is screwing up again). And got help me if I hear this again: "when a judge opens a box and sees spares...they know they'll be eating good."

The way the show is made, I can only assume they never expect the same person to watch it twice.

For anyone who has entered a competition, How realistic is it? I'm very surprised that all of the entries are laid over a bed of kale. What is is the point of that? All I would care about is if the meat tastes good, not a garnish of greens. Despite all of the drama, and there is certainly editing involved, you can still learn from this show. At least I can and I'm still a newbie. I also went to one of the best culinary schools in the country...But, Unlike Paul, do not have the arrogance that goes with it! One of my biggest pet peeves!

Well it is better than watching nothing.Good or bad I will watch it anyway.I think they should show more local amatures.

I heard that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot.

Did you guys hear that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot?

There is a rumor going around that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot.

This tidbit was entertaining the first time that they said it, but do I have to hear it every week at least once and sometimes twice? Did they only film enough footage for 4 episodes and they now have to stretch it into a whole season?

I want to see the doggone pistol already. Show me the pistol.

i tuned in for the first time a while back thinking I could see some good technique and ideas. I learned to put sugar in and on everything and learned that "South Park" was more educational. (and funnier).
icon_biggrin.gif
I also learned that "Jack old south" is married... somehow... ?

Do you think by now TLC will have learned that they could have a winning show if they made one for down to earth BBQ fans.

Truthfully even if it is a bad bbq show I'd still watch it. Just put it on mute and drool over the meat.
icon_biggrin.gif
It's a shame that they might not get picked up for a second season. I would have liked to see them follow different teams.

You may not like the characters or the plot but you have to admit just watching these guys cook is something one doesn't always get to see every day. PLUS, there is ALWAYS a tip or two you can come away with. For those of you who really don't like this show "don't throw the baby out with the bath water". I know they are not giving away ALL their secrets but I've picked up enough tips to keep me trying new things to make my q better

I generally like the show and find it fairly interesting. i had no idea that so many people actually liked the taste of margerine.

I really do want to see Trigg's pistol in his boot.

there's no arguing the fact that the makers of the show are doing an admirable job of making comp bbq somewhat compelling tv. However, I have never, in my life seen a show like this that repeats things word for word like this. I can only assume they only have so much A material and figure nobody watches twice so they might as well use the same stuff over and over again.

I've seen it thrown around a lot, the fact that you can learn a lot from the show. I'm not so sure about that. I saw some things that confirmed some suspicions I've had, but if I hadn't already been looking for those things I don't know if I would have spotted them. Basically, they don't show anything or tell you anything that can't be found on the internet or at an actual comp.

I heard that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot.

Did you guys hear that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot?

There is a rumor going around that Johny Trig carries a pistol in his boot.

icon_biggrin.gif
I think they mentioned that on the show, but I don't recall which episode.

Hey J, care to share what you spotted?
My thought on the show is that it is just another reality show, but I watch because I love all things BBQ. My feeling about competition is that it differs too much from what I want to do. I don’t like the fact that when competing a cook will do things he or she would not normally do with his or her meat in an effort to impress the judges. When I cook I try and have the mind-set that I am cooking for a lot of hungry BBQ lovers in some sort of outdoor setting and that they are expecting real BBQ (whatever that is). I won’t go as far as to take each piece of chicken and make it the prettiest thing I have ever seen by making it completely squared and looking exactly like all the other pieces. That is just how I feel. No need to be offended if you are a competitor.

I am not offended at all. The thing I find funny is that everyone says comp Q is sweet. Not ours.

I do trim comp chicken to look the same size and shape because that is part of the game. Maybe our team is alone with the idea that we turn in what WE like and hope for the best.

I do not trim chicken very much for eating at home because it takes too long. Several hours to tell you the truth. Ribs take just a few minutes but chicken takes me longer than the other three meats combined. Its just part of the game for competition.

Back