BBQ Pitmasters...TLC

And just to add to my remarks I do understand why competetors do what they do because as Dale wrote that is "the name of the game". its just not what I personally am interested in. But as I stated, I do enjoy watching the show.

Hey J, care to share what you spotted?

brisket quality matters. We struggle with our beef scores and I'm considering better beef. Watching the show Myron talks wagyu, and Tuffy had "prime" written either on the case or the cryo. I think Wood Chicks mentioned either prime or wagyu too.

everybody injects.

got to braise chicken.

Like I said before, its nothing monumental, but I'm a seeing is believing guy. so watching some real pros do the stuff I've heard about, seen, or tried kind of gives me reason to explore these avenues.

I do understand why competetors do what they do because as Dale wrote that is "the name of the game".

the way the scoring formula works, places can be separated by 1000th of a point. Getting one judge to score your appearance a 9 instead of an 8 can be the difference between a ribbon and a check.

so yes, there are things we'll do in a comp that won't be done at home, but that's the fun of the comp. You might as well stay home if perfection isn't your goal.

I'm a complete noob to the WSM and trying to improve my ribs and butts from what I've gotten on my Char-griller...but what exactly were you guys expecting? Of course there's gonna be drama and of course they're not gonna show a ton of technique...it's a reality type show, not a documentary. I enjoy it for what it is...

Lets face it...once American Chopper took off, the number of new shows built on that "recipe", if you will, skyrocketed. All they did was change the subject of the show and it seems like there's a show for just about anything and it's gonna appeal to someone. At least for a season or two before the buzz wears off.

Originally posted by j biesinger:
I got to hit the fast forward on the dvr every time Wood Chicks is on (oh look, her boyfriend is screwing up again).

I was doing the same thing. In the ARO show, there was a lot of mean bickering between her and her boyfriend. I noticed on the latest show about the comp in DE that she and her boyfriend were no longer together.

I've enjoyed this show. I just started watching it this past weekend. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's better than all the many bbq shows out there. :p

I'm hoping they do another set of shows, since this one is about to end. It's given me a real desire to get into competition bbq. I mean I've always wanted to do that, but seeing all those WSMs out there shows me that you don't have to have a super-duper fancy, expensive rig to compete.

Back