BBQ Pitmasters season 3 premiere

Originally posted by Steve Aguilar:
Just finished watching Ep. 3 on the DVR. Johnny Triggs' Smokin' Triggers beat Wicked Good BBQ to move on to the finale. Seemed (T)rigged to me. Or, that's the way the producers wanted to it to look like. Even Johnny himself thought he didn't do so well.

They made turkey and pork belly. Johnny initially thought the pork belly was beef ribs! I love how the unusual (or unusual in competition) meats really throw curve balls at these guys; very entertaining. Check it out if you have the time.

I also thought that it could have been fixed. Triggs did well with the turkey but seemingly bombed with the pork belly. The other guy did good in both areas, so it appeared.

Triggs is a fan favorite and obviously no stranger to the show. Personally I wanted to see Johnny win....but fair and square. Not saying that it wasn't, but I have my doubts. Triggs moving on to the finale is definitely best for the show and ratings.

Originally posted by Richard Marquez:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Aguilar:
Just finished watching Ep. 3 on the DVR. Johnny Triggs' Smokin' Triggers beat Wicked Good BBQ to move on to the finale. Seemed (T)rigged to me. Or, that's the way the producers wanted to it to look like. Even Johnny himself thought he didn't do so well.

They made turkey and pork belly. Johnny initially thought the pork belly was beef ribs! I love how the unusual (or unusual in competition) meats really throw curve balls at these guys; very entertaining. Check it out if you have the time.

I also thought that it could have been fixed. Triggs did well with the turkey but seemingly bombed with the pork belly. The other guy did good in both areas, so it appeared.

Triggs is a fan favorite and obviously no stranger to the show. Personally I wanted to see Johnny win....but fair and square. Not saying that it wasn't, but I have my doubts. Triggs moving on to the finale is definitely best for the show and ratings. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seemed fishy to me. Wonder if Myron rated Johnny high because he recognized the taste. Trigg uses the same rub all the time so it would be easy to recognize with only 2 other competitors.

Just thought I would mention that Dish Network added Destination America to their America's Top 120 package.

I found this channel a couple days ago and set a series timer for BBQ Pitmasters.

I'm guessing the episodes I've watched have been season 3 or season 4, not sure. Either way, much better than season 2, but still not as good as season 1. Either way, it's a BBQ show so I'll take it.

Yea, Triggs ribs are so easy to spot. I don't like the show at all. First season is what i want. These guys judging is just stupid. I hate how they sit and watch them on the tv and have to say their name every second. Don't need to hear your name and i don't need to hear your jokes.

If they want to make 2 shows that fine, one like this and the other where they do comps. I still watch bits and pieces but that is more when they are cooking and i stop watching when they judge.

Im catching up on my bbq pitmasters.
I only watched season 1 and part of season 2 until charter cable took away my destination america. we no have directv and for fathers day maribel upgraded the package so I now can see bbq pitmaster.

Yea, Triggs ribs are so easy to spot. I don't like the show at all. First season is what i want. These guys judging is just stupid. I hate how they sit and watch them on the tv and have to say their name every second. Don't need to hear your name and i don't need to hear your jokes.

If they want to make 2 shows that fine, one like this and the other where they do comps. I still watch bits and pieces but that is more when they are cooking and i stop watching when they judge.

Well it seems apparent than they aren't considering going back to the first season. I think you have to take into account that this show is aimed at the US general population and not the relatively small BBQ cult of society. If the show only appealed to people like us, they probably wouldn't make enough money to keep it going.

I'm GUESSING that the majority of the audience prefers the newer format as it is more similar to other reality shows. I don't like it nearly as much either, but it is what it is. I need something to tide me over until football season so this is better than nothing.

I have to completely agree about the contestants repreating their names though. That is extremely ANNOYING! Why they do that is beyond me.

I don't mind the new format, truth be told. In S1 we watched the manufactured drama around the same characters, and I got sick of Myron's foul mouth after the 2nd or 3rd episode. In the new format he's trying to be the Simon Cowell of barbecue, but it's serving to do little more than make him look like a buffoon in my eyes. What I like about the current format is you get to see a lot of different techniques in use and learn a little bit more about processes used for different styles of meats and cookers. I always get a laugh when I see the Trigg Method of doing ribs being used by other contestants. I'm sure Johnny's getting a chuckle out of it too.

I do wish that in the current format they held to the KCBS rules and meats (one KCBS meat plus one oddball, for example). Also spend less time on the jawboning at the head table and more on the cooking techniques. We're watching for the food, not for the fake b---busting.

The current format is the best so far. Not too much trash talking, drama, or BS.

They show the different cookers used and discuss the rubs, injections, time-and-temp, wrap techniques, etc.

The weak spot is the judging segment where, as said above, "I hate how they sit and watch them on the tv and have to say their name every second."

"No. 2 ribs. That's me, Bubba's Buttkisser BBQ!" After about the 11teenth time you hear it you want to scream (or just FFW to the winner announcement).

Tip to producer: Use a pop-up of the face of the cook being judged. It would be far less annoying and still keep us straight on whose meat is on the table.

The current format is the best so far. Not too much trash talking, drama, or BS.

They show the different cookers used and discuss the rubs, injections, time-and-temp, wrap techniques, etc.

The weak spot is the judging segment where, as said above, "I hate how they sit and watch them on the tv and have to say their name every second."

"No. 2 ribs. That's me, Bubba's Buttkisser BBQ!" After about the 11teenth time you hear it you want to scream (or just FFW to the winner announcement).

Tip to producer: Use a pop-up of the face of the cook being judged. It would be far less annoying and still keep us straight on whose meat is on the table.

My thoughts exactly, irritating as hell.

Back