BBQ Pitmasters Competition at work

Mike_Y

So yesterday we had a team builder at work which was a BBQ Pittmasters Competition. (Yes, I got paid to smoke all day :D ). There were 5 teams and we competed in Brisket (6lb), Chicken Thighs, and Baby Backs.

I brought my 22.5 WSM and my ECB. The plan was to run the WSM around 250 with the brisket going on first and then the ribs later on.

Trimmed the brisket, injected with beef broth, and rubbed her down with a mix of spices/sugars. Put her on the WSM at 7:20am. Pulled her at 10:45am after hitting the stall at 161 degrees. Double-wrapped tightly in Heavy Foil with added beef broth. Placed back on the WSM until it hit 195 degrees. Wrapped her in some old towels and place in a cooler until it was time to slice.

I used the 2-2-1 method on the Baby Backs. We were given 3 whole racks from Costco and I noticed that the silver skin was already removed (first time I encountered that). The ribs were rubbed down and placed on the smoker at 10AM. Pulled at 12PM, Wrapped in foil with a combination of brown sugar, honey, and butter (meat side down). Placed back on the WSM at 12PM. At 2PM, I removed the foil and glazed all 3 racks in 20 minute increments. Pulled at 3PM and it was damn near fall off the bone with a very slight tug.

I used my modified ECB for the Chicken Thighs. I brined the thighs for about 4 hours and then pulled them, rinsed them, and trimmed off excess fat. Then the rub was applied. I ran the smoker between 275 and 290 for 1 hour 45 minutes (about 12 thighs). Thighs were pulled and added a slight glaze.

Results:
Brisket: 1st place
Chicken: 2nd place
Ribs: 2nd place

Overall: 1st place :D

Pictures

Brisket:

Ribs:

Chicken:

What I learned:

Brisket: That was the best damned brisket I've cooked so far (around my 5th one). Was very tender. I think I need to tighten up on my rub that I made. Still need to practice

Ribs: Didn't give enough time on the turn in box. The first rack we pulled was slightly falling apart, yet we had another rack that was more firm. I think that is what separated us from 1st place.

Chicken: I fought temps on my modified ECB and was worried about the skin, but we received great compliments on the skin. So, the heck with the modified ECB. I just need to buy another WSM :) to be less worried about it.

If I would have had another WSM and turned in the right rack of ribs, then we could have swept the competition. Not too bad for my first time in any type of cooking competition whatsoever.

Welcome to the forum Mike and good job on the competition.

That's a lot of different things to cook for your first time doing a comp. Looks like it turned out great. Congrats.

Thanks Rick! The thing that saved me was creating an itinerary the day before. I knew exactly where I needed to be throughout the day whereas everyone else was winging it.

Great job on the cook. I wish my work did one of these! Probably too many laws and hoops for HR to jump through to make it happen here though. Great job on the 1st in brikset, what is widely considered the most difficult meat to perfect.

Great job on the cook. I wish my work did one of these! Probably too many laws and hoops for HR to jump through to make it happen here though. Great job on the 1st in brikset, what is widely considered the most difficult meat to perfect.

Thanks a bunch! My boss and I talk about grilling/smoking all the time, so we decided to do a team builder for the entire department. We had over 90 people show up with 5 teams competing. I'm sure we'll be doing it again next year. The only thing missing was an ice cold beverage :D. First time I've pulled meat from the smoker while sober :)

Back