BBQ items on a plane

Darrell J.

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone ever had problems taking rub, wood and other items on a plane trip? I'm heading down to Oklahoma and will probably cook some. Thanks for your time!

When I visit my Father in Law I grab as much grape and apple wood from his garden as I can. I'm talking a 20" carry-on half full. This is as recently as last month. One time he wrapped a bunch of neatly stacked apple sticks in the shape of, well, let's say the TSA xray operator thought it suspicious, they asked him to show the goods and let him continue without incident or loss of the precious goods.

Until someone gets caught trying rub the sticks together to light them I think we're safe.

Donald

Oh yeah, the TSA almost had a field day once when I packed one of those Brookstone attach to the bbq lamps my Ma had given me (it seems all I get now are bbq accessories. Why? I don't know why.).

They take my bag, my ticket, my name, my number. We open the bag, there it is, I explain it's purpose: bbq illumination.

The TSA agent smiles knowingly and sends me on my way, no further explanation. Must of been a brother - in the cause...

I packed a good-sized Le Creuset Dutch oven in my checked bag last week and still came in under 50 pounds, but I could hardly get my bag on the scale. Arrived in Denver with a "searched baggage" notice in my bag. Wonder why!
icon_eek.gif

I'm planning on taking 2 lbs of apple wood and probably a large shaker bottle of rub. The rest of the stuff, I can shop around and buy. I know that you can't take gels and such if they are over a certain size, but the websites don't say much about what I'm taking.

I fly on business travel coast to coast about 10 times a year.

For carry ons, you can take liquids and gels onboard that will fit in a single 1-qt zip lock bag. Each liquid / gel tube or bottle must be 2-oz or less in size. Each person is only allowed a single zip lock bag. You have to take the zip lock bag out of your carry on and place it in the bin, separately, to be x-rayed.

I flew back from Memphis to California with a pound or two of Penzey's spices in my checked luggage. When I got home, I found a TSA inspection notice card in my luggage.
icon_wink.gif

Rusty

Darrell, where in OK are you going? If you're coming to the Tulsa area, I can take of you on apple wood - logs, chunks, or pellets.

Keri C
Hot Wire BBQ

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. Keri, I'm going to OKC for a week. Do you know of anywhere in that neck of the woods that may have apple wood?

I filled two one gallon freezer bags with these grape sticks and carried them on, no problem with the TSA.

Grape.jpg

If I think the TSA will balk at something I take it out of the bag and throw it in one of the grey rubbermaid trays, it just speeds up things; no need for them to go digging through your daintees now is there?

Donald

My 2 cents...when not playing with my WSM, I can be found at a Security Checkpoint. I'd suggest you put the wood into your checked baggage. Someone could see them as a club-like item and then you have an issue. Best bet is to put them in your checked baggage and no issues.

Back