bbq in charlotte?

jeff davidson

TVWBB Super Fan
I may be heading to charlotte for work. I've heard that there is no good bbq restaurants in charlotte, is that still true?

I'm thinking that a drive to lexington may be in order. What are the must try restaurants? I'm thinking Lexington #1 and stameys...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jeff davidson:
I may be heading to charlotte for work. I've heard that there is no good bbq restaurants in charlotte, is that still true?

I'm thinking that a drive to lexington may be in order. What are the must try restaurants? I'm thinking Lexington #1 and stameys... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

There's a fairly new BBQ restuarant, Eb's in Indian Trial, east of Charlotte that is getting EXCELLENT reviews. Traveling to either Lexington or Shelby is a cannot miss trip for BBQ.

Check out this site that has reviews of the "legend" BBQ "joints" at the top of the page. There's also a review of Eb's in Indian Trail.

http://www.mfbb.net/viewforum.php?f=2&sid=1cbcf53cd6171...orum=carolinabbqjoin

Bill Spoon's BBQ on South Ave has AWESOME chopped pork, tea, hush puppies, and vinegar based sauce.

It is in extreme southern Charlotte. Great food.

The BBQ King on Wilkerson Bvd was good enough to be featured on the Food channel, it,s only a drive in though and it been there for a long time. If you go to Stameys go to the one across from the coliseum, my grandmother says it's not as good as it use to be and she just turned 90.

Jeff,
You must try the "Old Hickory House Restaurant" located on North Tryon Street on Hwy 29 just before the 29/49 split. NASCAR drivers, teams and fans don't miss the chance to go when the are just up the road at Lowes Motor Speedway. In fact, in the late 1980's Richard Petty and crew chief came in to eat, sat next to my table! Make sure you try the Brunswick Stew. You will never find any better stew anywhere. I lived in Charlotte for 49 years, and this is my personal favorite! It compares to Lexington. In fact, you see the pit as it is open behind the open room dining area. Good luck in Charlotte, a great town!

Bubba's. I-77 & Sunset Rd.

I've never been buy my folk's swear by it. It must be good, they bought me a shirt.

My favorite is Carolina Country BBQ on Tyvola. You can smell the smoke when you pull in the parking lot. Check out their website for directions. I also like Hillbillys in Lowell, right off I-85.

I would have to say EB's BBQ in Indian Trail. Their phone number is 704-821-6958. They have great pulled pork sammies that are rather large. Their ribs and brisket are great also. They have a buffett at night. I can't remember when "rib night" is for the buffett.

I buy my sauce (EB's Original) and red slaw from them every time I cook butts or brisket. The owners are great BBQ people. They are the ones that introduced the WSM to me. I have asked them many questions about bbq over the last few years.

I think that there bbq is some of the best in the Charlotte region. You may want to call ahead, as they have sold out of bbq before. It's a small place off of the main drag with little signage (thanks to a town ordinance). It will be worth your while to check them out.

I had Parker's bbq (Wilson NC) for dinner tonight. I have had Bridges BBQ from Shelby, and ate at several different places in Lexington a few years back. All of these joints are good, but EB's beats them all in my opinion.

Good luck, and let us know where you end up.

I like Rock Store BBQ in Indian Trail. I prefer it to Eb's actually, although both are better than any of the chains you'll find. Another vote for the Old Hickory House as well. Elliot's is good too, and the owner is very nice. He overheard me ordering brisket once when they were out. Later, he came to my table and gave me a gift certificate for my next visit and apologised. That's good service.

There is a new group down in Matthews...can't think of their name...they appearantly were a hit at the superbowl. Somebody may help.

thanks for all the great suggestions. I'm penning this from my hotel room in charlotte after getting back from lexington #1. As I was driving the 50 minutes or so from the airport, I questioned my sanity...driving 1.5 rt hours for a plate of pulled of pork, slaw, hush puppies and sweet tea.

I sat at the counter, ordered my plate of chopped "lean brown" and sipped some great sweet tea while I waited. After my first bite, I knew I hadn't made a mistake...some of the best pulled pork I've ever had...shows my wsm efforts to be amateurish at best. What I've learned over the last month or so (after a lifetime of eating pulled pork) is that the best NC sauces are delicate and let the flavor of the pork speak for itself. The vinegar recipes I've been using are just too strong.

If I have time tomorrow, I'm going to try one of the charlotte based suggestions above.

thanks again,
jd

Hey Jeff,I know this is a little late,but there's Lancasters in Huntersville(Mooresville too). Good stuff. And I know I may be shunned,but there are a couple of really good chains. Smokey Bones in the university area,and Sticky fingers to the south side and Concord mills mall. Enjoy.

Hey Jeff,I know this is a little late,but there's Lancasters in Huntersville(Mooresville too). Good stuff. And I know I may be shunned,but there are a couple of really good chains. Smokey Bones in the university area,and Sticky fingers to the south side and Concord mills mall. Enjoy.
-----

----------------

heading back to charlotte next week. Any new suggestions? I've heard midwood smokehouse is supposed to be good? how about saucemans?

tia,

thanks, I was hoping not to make the ride to lexington again, anything closer to charlotte? Also, was thinking about keatons...

Mac's Speed Shop is good. I prefer the one on South Blvd, the food usually seems better there.

Bill Spoon's on South Blvd is good if you like eastern NC vinegar style. They cook over electricity so most of the flavor comes from the sauce. Bill passed on a few years ago, but his family still runs the place.

Some of the shops recommended previously don't exist anymore, so call before you go. Carolina Country on Tyvola was one of my favorites, but they've been closed for years.

Also, there is a Big Bob Gibson's in Monroe. I recommend that you do not go there. After reading Chris Lilly's book and cooking some of his recipes, the food at the restaurant was a huge dissapointment.

Back