BBQ Hash

Wayne Ficklin

TVWBB Fan
Growing up in the lower-Upstate or upper-Midlands of SC meant that every 4th of July we'd trek to the local BBQ eatery to put in our order for meat and BBQ Hash. This isn't corned beef hash. This doesn't have a bunch of potatoes or corn or other* vegetables in it. Its not Brunswick stew. It's best served over a bed of plain cheap white rice but does as well on a hamburger bun eaten as a sandwich.

Years back my aunt had my Grandma write down all the recipes she could think of to give to my sister who was going to live out of the country for a couple of years. The rest of the families ended up getting copies of that cookbook for Christmas a few years after that. There's (thin, flat, burnt-on-one-side) cornbread that, to my knowledge, no ones been able to master exactly since she passed ( but my wife makes it awful close). There's 8 layer chocolate cake and it-takes-an-hour-to-stir banana pudding that thankfully has more precise instructions than the cornbread so we still have those every once in a while just like she made.

One gem that I've been daunted by was written in a different hand than all the others my Grandma had painstakingly written out. Turns out it was her daddy's BBQ Hash recipe written in his own hand. It consists of pork and beef cut into chunks, some vinegar, some water and onions. Sounds simple enough but I've heard stories of the hash parties where all the sons in the family and other men from the community/family would take turns stirring a big hash pot (cast iron and long since lost) with a repurposed boat paddle. I'm a one man barbecue party...

I decided I'd give it a try. I've got an 18.5" WSM, a 22" kettle, and a 3-out-of-4-burners-work gas grill to cook on. I also have a Cabelas dutch oven. I couldn't decide until the very last second whether I was going to use the WSM or the kettle. I opted to use the WSM and used a full bowl of charcoal topped with a smidge less than half a chimney of lit coals (minion style). As the WSM was coming to temp, I left the dutch oven in to come up to temp as well. Chopped the onions (hence the earlier *) and poured the water and vinegar in with them then came back to chop up the meat. After adding that, I seasoned it with salt and fresh-cracked black pepper. About that time I set the vents (from wide open) to hit between 250 and 275 on the thermometer ...and just let it sit there.

Everywhere I look, including my great-grandpa's handwritten recipe, says that stirring is necessary constantly lest the meat stick and burn. I was nervous about this but never ran into any issues until right toward the end when the meat started to disintegrate. When I started there wasn't any mention of how long it was going to take, but I was surprised to see that it took me almost exactly 6 hours from the meat going on to taking it off the heat.

This dish isn't everyone's cup of tea. That's not to say it's not tasty but to the uninitiated it may not look appetizing. It is delicious though ...& I was raised on it. ‪

27825758450_535befc0fb_b.jpg

27825768890_9ffc92bdc3_b.jpg

28028529481_af170432e5_b.jpg

I would definitely eat that. Looks realy good and think it would make a great sandwich. That sounds like a great family history lesson and hope it is passed down to all younger family members. Great job.

Nothing wrong with that!! I generally swing by Wise's BBQ whenever we go to Columbia. We bring a couple of quarts home each time.

Thanks Wayne, your BBQ Hash looks like something that I would like to give a try at.

Nothing wrong with that!! I generally swing by Wise's BBQ whenever we go to Columbia. We bring a couple of quarts home each time.
That's the "BBQ eatery" I mentioned. I was relieve that the "You been farming long?" picture survived the fire years back. I've got a bottle of their sauce in my fridge, and make a pretty close approximation myself. (The stuff they sell isn't exactly what they have in the restaurant.)

Is there a recipe' that can be shared, or is it a family secret? It looks outstanding.
You have to PROMISE not to share it...
His recipe calls for:
2.5lbs lean pork
.5lbs stew meat beef
2 onions
1/4 C vinegar
1T salt
pepper to taste

I used 3lbs pork, 1lb stew meat, and 1 onion (because I didn't remember right when I was at the grocery store). As I mentioned above, I'd use less salt next time, ...probably by half. For the sake of my kids eating it, I ***MIGHT*** use a little less pepper next time as well.

Wayne, your hash looks good. Being from Upstate SC myself, I'm very familiar with hash, though I don't eat it. Here in Union, we even have a restaurant, Midway BBQ, who's address is 100 Hash Blvd (for advertising purposes). I honestly never knew what was in it until your post though. I was offered some at work just last week, and declined, with the person in disbelief that I don't eat it. Maybe I give it a try now. Awesome post. Thanks.

My dad used to work all over the Upstate and he was very familiar with Midway BBQ. They've got good hash too. Is that the same place that makes chicken stew in winter?

That's it! Still very old school. Everybody loves the hash and chicken stew. They do quite a bit of catering too.

That looks fantastic! I don't really see myself cooking anything like that at home, but I could see it being done over an open fire while camping... My mouth is certainly watering just looking at the photos!

Looks great, but I have a question. How much water? I did not see that in the recipe or other posts (unless I totally missed it).....

That's the "BBQ eatery" I mentioned. I was relieve that the "You been farming long?" picture survived the fire years back. I've got a bottle of their sauce in my fridge, and make a pretty close approximation myself. (The stuff they sell isn't exactly what they have in the restaurant.)

You have to PROMISE not to share it...
His recipe calls for:
2.5lbs lean pork
.5lbs stew meat beef
2 onions
1/4 C vinegar
1T salt
pepper to taste

I used 3lbs pork, 1lb stew meat, and 1 onion (because I didn't remember right when I was at the grocery store). As I mentioned above, I'd use less salt next time, ...probably by half. For the sake of my kids eating it, I ***MIGHT*** use a little less pepper next time as well.

Hi Wayne,

I promise not to share the recipe but can you please answer a few questions:
1. How much water at the start? Do you keep adding water until the meat breaks down?
2. It is a constant stir?
3. You cooked it in your WSM in a Dutch oven at 250-275 F. Is this the dome temp or the grate temp?

My mouth is watering just typing my questions :) I gonna have to make a road trip to Wise BBQ in Columbia, SC. I've never seen this in NVa.

TIA

David Ward, my apologies for not replying, but since Gene_N went and numbered his questions, one of which you'd ask, I'll just answer him and you can listen in.

1.) 5 cups. My Great Grandpa said to add more as needed, but I cooked it about half the time with the lid on the dutch oven so I never had to add water.
2.) I went back to check on it about every 10-15 minutes. I'm sure that having it in the WSM (on the bottom rack) kept it far enough from the heat that I could go that long without it sticking/burning.
3.) It was the Weber-thermometer temp. I didn't feel like getting out probes and all that. Either I was lucky or there may not be a specific temp range.

The water in the pot's only going to get so hot. Hash is mostly cooked over a propane cooker or some sort of open flame. I'm quite possibly the first person dumb enough to do this in a WSM, ...but its what I have and it worked so its my go-to now.

Back