BBQ Guru Pit Minder vs. BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Kevin K.

TVWBB Member
I'm looking into the BBQ Guru for my WSM. The Guru folks make several models and two of them interest me. The Pit Minder monitors and adjusts the smoker temp while the DigiQ II monitors and adjusts both the meat and smoker temps. There is a pretty substantial price difference between the two: $164 for the Pit Minder vs $234 for the DigiQ II. I already have a Maverick ET-73 so meat temp monitoring is covered. My question: Are the features of the DigiQ II worth the difference in price over the Pit Minder?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kevin K.:
I'm looking into the BBQ Guru for my WSM. The Guru folks make several models and two of them interest me. The Pit Minder monitors and adjusts the smoker temp while the DigiQ II monitors and adjusts both the meat and smoker temps. There is a pretty substantial price difference between the two: $164 for the Pit Minder vs $234 for the DigiQ II. I already have a Maverick ET-73 so meat temp monitoring is covered. My question: Are the features of the DigiQ II worth the difference in price over the Pit Minder?

Thanks for your input.

Kevin </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Kevin. Just so you know, this post will likely be moved to the "Automatic Temperature Control systems" forum under "Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker Smoker" down below.
icon_smile.gif

Now, to answer your question, it really depends on what you want and can afford. I have 2 Competitors, which are similar to the DigiQII but are larger and have fewer features. I use Nu-Temps, similar to your ET-73 so I rarely use the meat temperature probes in the Competitor any more. If I were to do it all again, I still would have purchased a Competitor for the features it does have for when I would need them (price isn't an issue with me) but my 2nd unit would have been a Pitminder. With the DigiQII having the software to detect the open lid and it's new display over the led bars, that would weigh heavily on my decision as those are great features. Good luck with your new toy, which ever it is.
icon_smile.gif

Bill

Hey Kevin:

I purchased a Pit Minder first. The idea was to use this for better control during winter cooks. The Digi II came out shortly after I purchased the PM. I ended up trading up to the D2 without every trying the PM. So can't compare.

All I can say though is that I have used the D2 several times and it is worth every $$. Open lid feature is fantastic. Easy to set. I didn't even use instructions the fist time I used it. Very intuitive, and in fact instructions are etched in the back of the unit.

At this point I would say go with the extra$$ if you can afford it. Very compact almost like an Ipod for the barbecue. Q-pod? :)

I have an ET73 that I like as well. The Digi II is easier to set up (as reference). I still used the ET73 since it has the remote feature when using the Digi II.

As far as pricing comparison/feature similarity I wouldn't compare Pit Minder to Digi II. The Competitor VS. Digi II is more apples to apples. The Digi II is pretty much the digital replacement for the Competitor. Wouldn't be suprised if a remote option comes out for the DigiII.

In my experience/several cooks with the DigiII it was able to control temps within +/- 5 deg or less. After open lid - it would ramp up quickly to set temp and then level off to the same accuracy. Love this thing. Basically keeps tight control on smoker temp, allows for open lid and ramping, also noticebly adjusts fan op/cooker temp/meat temp.

Ray

WSM
Weber Performer
CG Pro SFB

I have the PitMinder - picked it over the others because I just wanted temp control, didn't need the other features, and the price was right.

It is reliable, keeps a steady temp, and you'll get much longer unattended burn times than with the standard water pan set-up.

It's important w/ any of these units to tighten up your WSM (especially the access door) so that there are no air leaks.

You'll be happy w/ any of them - good luck.

Back