BBQ for 175 people

f.nathan.walsh

TVWBB Member
The social committee at work has asked me to BBQ for approx 175 people. I’m thinking of pulled pork sliders and wings. Does anyone know the quantities of meat that would need to be purchased, or do you have a recommendation for a different meat?

I will have a rancher and a couple kettles to use for the cook.

Thanks for the help everyone.

It might not be of too much help, but ten ounces of uncooked bone-in pork butt per person is a good rule of thumb if it's the only meat. Good luck with it. I've cooked a case of eight pork butts before, but man, that's gonna be a lot of wings!

For that many people I would get a buddy to help cook and pull. Besides the pulled pork, you could fill that ranch with wings 3 or 4 times and they will
still want more.

I would figure 60% yield and 4 oz serving size (sandwich size).

So 75 lbs of boston butt (raw),
Yield of %60 (75 x .60)= 45 lbs or 720 oz
4 oz serving size (720/4)= 180 servings

Just an example. You will probably want to do more servings or do some wings so you'll have plenty. It's always better to have extra than to run out.

Last edited:
Hey Nathan- I visited Westville last summer, and I have to tell you, you live in a beautiful place with lovely people. Good luck with your cook, and please post some pictures....

It takes me a long time to pull 2-3 butts because I am anal about getting the interior fat pulled out. Pulling that many butts would take forever for me. Unless you are just going to use bear claws or something else to pull and not worry about the interior fat, then you may want to solicit the help of 1 or 2 other people (besides your friend) to just help pull the meat.
Just something to think about if applicable to your plan.
Kg

It takes me a long time to pull 2-3 butts because I am anal about getting the interior fat pulled out. Pulling that many butts would take forever for me. Unless you are just going to use bear claws or something else to pull and not worry about the interior fat, then you may want to solicit the help of 1 or 2 other people (besides your friend) to just help pull the meat.
Just something to think about if applicable to your plan.
Kg

Keith, there should be a little fat left, but in my experience, if a lot, it's an indication it could've gone longer in the pit. Pulling pork isn't a chore if it's cooked long enough.

I look forward to hearing how this turns out. I am cooking some butts for a fundraiser later this month and was wondering how many to cook as well.

Keith, there should be a little fat left, but in my experience, if a lot, it's an indication it could've gone longer in the pit. Pulling pork isn't a chore if it's cooked long enough.
I can tell you all the butts I have cooked were cooked long enough and were done without being overdone. (i.e. blade slides right out and easily pulled apart by hand) What each person considers to be a lot of fat is relative. My family hates any fat at all in the finished product, so I go through each butt very carefully. Even if there isn't much fat left in the butt, going through it, pulling it by hand, and removing the fat left takes much longer than just tearing it apart with bear claws. Everybody is different with how they present the finished product. I was just making the point that if you are anal about removing all the interior fat, then doing 10+ butts will be a lot of work and the OP should account for that.

Kg

I can tell you all the butts I have cooked were cooked long enough and were done without being overdone. (i.e. blade slides right out and easily pulled apart by hand) What each person considers to be a lot of fat is relative. My family hates any fat at all in the finished product, so I go through each butt very carefully. Even if there isn't much fat left in the butt, going through it, pulling it by hand, and removing the fat left takes much longer than just tearing it apart with bear claws. Everybody is different with how they present the finished product. I was just making the point that if you are anal about removing all the interior fat, then doing 10+ butts will be a lot of work and the OP should account for that.

Kg

Tenfour, and I feel for you since pulling out all the fat not only takes a lot more time, but adds time for cooling and drying.

That reminds me of an event we catered for a friend a while back. Only after a couple of emails ironing out details, amounts, and such, that she mentions she doesn't want any fat left in the pork. Well, I'm at the party and panning the butts and her sister or sister- in-law walks up and says, "Don't pull ALL the fat out. That's what makes it good." I was like, Amen, sister and shaking my head. One of these days I might just do it like Chris Lilly did it here:
http://youtu.be/rj8M6KOkyw8

If you're doing pulled pork, my gut says that'll be a BIG pain to try to babysit on a Rancher. You'd be looking at probably 14-16 pork butts (assuming the Sams Club-type butts).

With a Rancher at hand, I'd GRILL. Buy yourself several of the BIG pork loins at Sam's, cut them into 1.25" thick slices (should get 20 or 22 out of each loin). Get yourself a couple of the BIG ziplock bags (like your wife would use to store winter clothes under the bed), throw a bunch of the slices into the bag and marinate with italian dressing (again, big jug at Sam's Club).

They cook up pretty fast - your biggest challenge will be babysitting all and not overcooking. Got a Thermapen?

If you want sandwiches, they work; if you want "sit down with fork and knife" you can do that too.

Alternative: Roadside Chicken. Just be prepared for the entire grill to be on fire at some point.....

Jarrod

Tenfour, and I feel for you since pulling out all the fat not only takes a lot more time, but adds time for cooling and drying.
Yea that is a factor. That is why I add a thinned out modified No. 5 sauce as a finishing sauce to help. Plus it helps marry all of the flavors across the pork.

Kg

Back