BBQ Chicken Stromboli Idea....

Shawn Woerlein

TVWBB Member
After thinking what I wanted to do for some food this weekend, I thought "what about some type of stromboli". Here is what I planned on......

- Smoked chicken (beer can style) over Apple. Rub with spicy rub
- Sauteed Onions/Bell Peppers
- Grilled portabello mushrooms
- Provolone Cheese

Once the chicken is done, I plan to put over direct heat to crunch up skin. Pull off, and grill portabello's until tender.

Once chicken rests and cools, pull and mix with bbq sauce.

I make up a killer sweet pizza dough. Roll this out and layer bbq chicken, sauteed onions/peppers, portabello mushrooms, and top with cheese. Wrap up, and bake in the oven.

Thoughts? Additions? Sounds pretty darn good the way it is, but open to any suggestions.

I'd be cautious of the grilled portobellos, they tend to release a lot of liquid, something you might want to avoid inside a baking crust.

other than that it sounds pretty darn tasty.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by j biesinger:
I'd be cautious of the grilled portobellos, they tend to release a lot of liquid, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Grilling them will release a lot of that liquid though, He should be ok.
Once the bellas are well grilled, slice them while hot, and place on a paper towel, to help pull more moisture out of them. Or once sliced, you could return to the grill for a few min and grill on the sliced sides to reduce the moisture. Does sound very tasty to me as well.

Sounds like an awesome recipe... I would be concerned with the 'bella mushrooms also, I think even if the were cooked after they were sliced they might still be too 'juicy' IMO...

But then again... what the he** do I know???
icon_razz.gif

Sounds good to me ... one thing came to mind ... I've had bought BBQ chicken pizza and it wasn't stellar by any means. I really didn't like that they used a sweet BBQ sauce on it. I'm complaining about sweet here, not the BBQ in sweet BBQ sauce. It really didn't work with the dough and cheese and chicken.

If I were to try your idea I'd put in something tangy or sour just to make sure it didn't get too sweet. Tangy BBQ sauce .. maybe ranch dressing with a bit of added vinegar ... something. I'd probably keep sugar out of the chicken rub too. My $0.02.

I'm with Shawn. The 'sweet pizza dough' should be enough sweet. Also, I'd likely grill the onions and peppers and sauté the mushrooms, chopped well. That will allow them to release their moisture, the moisture will evaporate, concentrating flavors, and they can be taken to the browned stage for a further flavor boost. A splash of white wine in the pan that you allow to evaporate completely, added when the mushrooms are done (or a splash of white balsamic or white wine vin), would add some nice acidity.

After seeing the weather forecast for tomorrow, decided it was best to do up the chicken today. We had 8" of new snowfall last night, so what better to do when you are snowed in
icon_smile.gif

I rubbed down the chicken with Wild Willy's Number One-derful Rub found in the cooking section of this website.

6 Tablespoons paprika
2 Tablespoons ground black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 Tablespoon granulated garlic
1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne (Sub. Ground Red Pepper per my taste)

I cut the sugar out as mentioned.

These are done beer can style. Using apple that I cut this past spring and dried out.

Went on a 1:00PM. The temp settled in a 215 with all vents open 100% ? ? ? I'm hoping it will eventually go up some. If not might have to add a few more lit coals. I have hope though
icon_biggrin.gif

Plan to baste at 2 hrs with apple juice / capt morgans spiced rum mix. Once finished, will rest for about 30 mins then pull and mix with bbq sauce and store until tomorrow.

Peppers and onions will have to be done tomorrow inside since I'm smoking today. I suppose I will go ahead and sautee them with the mushrooms as well, add wine as mentioned, and reduce. Should make a very tasty addition to the stromboli.

Pics starting the birds...rubbed down and ready to go:

beercanchicken1-10-091.jpg

Nice smoke shot.

beercanchicken1-10-092.jpg

Was going to mention. 1 chicken will be for the stromboli tomorrow. I was going to save one for Monday dinner, but figured what the heck. One of those birds will be gone tonight
icon_biggrin.gif

Today I made up the stromboli. Reheated the pulled chicken from yesterday. In a skillet I sauteed and cooked down 2 bell peppers, 2 onions, and 6 small portabello mushrooms. Added some rub that I use on the chicken and other spices. Once it was cooked down, time to roll out my dough and assemble the stromboli As you can see in the first pic below, the stromboli on the left had a few difficulties. The dough was too thin on one edge so I had to patch it. That was the 1st one I rolled today. The other one turned out perfect. I used both provolone and mozz. cheese. Anyways, the pics:

Stromboli1.jpg

Stromboli2.jpg

It turned out very well IMO. It needed more cheese, but space was at a premium. The pics don't do it justice how much stuffing was inside of these guys. LOL.

I think the only thing I would do differently the next time is use more portabello mushrooms in the veggies. I thought I had quite a few, but the flavor was washed out by the peppers and onions. I thickened the sauted veggies with a good sprinkling of rub. That seemed to soak up any remanming moisture in the veggies and didn't seem to cause softness. You can see the bottom crust was not soggy
icon_smile.gif

As for the dough, I use my standard recipe. If you have never made Stromboli, you need to give it a shot. The best dough recipe you could ever use is:

3 1/2 cups flour
1 cup warm water
2 tablespoons yeast
2 1/4 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt (Reduce if salty items on Pizza/Stromboli)

You want warm water around 100F to rehydrate your yeast. Add the yeast, honey and salt. Let sit for about 10 mins. Add 1 cup of flour and the olive oil, and mix very well. Then add the remaining flour. It should form a dough ball that is somewhat stretchy. If it won't ball up because it is too dry you can always add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until you get the right consistancy. Or just the opposite add flour if it is too damp. YOu'll know when you are mixing it up.

I knead this dough for a few minutes, then put into a plastic grocery bag and place on top of a mildly warm stove. I let it sit for 45 mins, the pull out and punch the crap out of it. This will allow the air to escape and the dough to fall. I let it rise again in the bag for an hour to an hour and a half, pull out, and knead into a ball. The dough should be ready to roll or even toss if you are good enough (talk about fun for stromboli
icon_biggrin.gif
).

If you make up a double batch, you can roll out the extra dough into 1/4" thickness and make strips. Lay them on a cookie sheet or pizza stone and bake them. When they are almost done, pull out and brush with butter and sprinkle with garlic salt, then put back in the oven to finish. B A M ......instant breadsticks
icon_smile.gif

In the photos above you see 2 stromboli. These guys were pretty big. That is a large cookie sheet I placed them on to cool. I use a oven stone to cook my stromboli on (need to warm up in a 375 oven for 1 hour to cook properly). I doubled the dough recipe for these 2 stromboli and a sheet of breadsticks.

Back