BBQ Chicken and Roadside Thighs

Jon W

TVWBB Member
Hi all, I haven't been around in a while, but still smoking when I can!

Anyhow, I am having a chicken fest for the Superbowl next weekend.

I want to do a typical butterflied BBQ chix and try roadside for the first time. Plus doing buffalo wings inside.

My question is, can this be done on the same smoker? I don't want to spray the whole chicken with the roadside sauce.

I was thinking putting the BBQ on the bottom rack, and pulling the top rack off to spray the thighs.

Would opening the lid every 5 minutes prevent the 'flied chicken from cooking correctly? I was planning on high heat, ~350 with the clay pot.

What kind of cooking time would I be looking at?

I tried searching, but didn't find anything on this combo.

I would ditch the clay pot and just go with a empty foiled pan with an airspace for the BBQ one.
IMO if your gonna do RS chicken on the lower grate of the WSM you should go with no pan.
If it was me I would do the whole one first, than the RS.

Tim

So you are suggesting not doing a dual cook.

The chicken are typically 2-3 h. at 250 if I remember correctly. I could do a hotter cook, but never tried.

I could do the roadside on the Weber kettle, but was trying to use fire I already had going on the smoker.

Roadside thight:
Direct about 45 minutes
Indirect closer to 1.5-2 hours?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon W:
I could do the roadside on the Weber kettle, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That's what I'd do. I think it's best if you let the chicken on the smoker alone without a lot of lid lifting

Sounds like a plan.

I will probably add a second smoked chicken to the WSM then. I hate to smoke with empty grates!
icon_wink.gif

I do my roadside on the kettle, better medium for all the basting required. Sure, put another bird on the WSM! I do my chicks at at least 325 though, nice and juice, nice skin, and they only take an hour or so, depending on size of course.

Back