Bback Membrane

After two years of trying I finally was able to remove the membrane from the back of the bback rib rack. That might not sound like much. but it's not fun eating ribs withat that thing on. But this time it was easy. I figured it out. YEE HAAA
icon_biggrin.gif

Congrats Frank.
icon_cool.gif
Most of the time it goes like this. I get a hold of it with the paper towel and it comes off in one piece, "Yea!" But then there's those times when the sweat is pouring off your head and all you say is "you got to be kidding me" That membrane can be challenging at times.
icon_mad.gif

Make sure you don't accidently remove the inner membrane versus the silverskin. The silverskin should be easily removable...don't be surprised if you get ribs from a butcher or even out of a cryovac package, if the silverskin has already been removed. The inner membrane is difficult to remove, and should not be, because it holds the bones together.

It was amazing. just before I took it off, I watched the video one more time. I used a boning knife to start it at the thin side of the rack. Then I grabbed it with a paper towel and pulled it right off. Then I stared at it in disbelief. My wife said, "what's wrong, why are you looking at it? I said, "it came right off". She looked at me and said, "And?" So we put it in the refridge till tomorrow moning.

Congratulations. It is a good feeling to have it come off with no problems. Very similar (at least for me) to the feeling when I get a charcoal bag that is closed with a string tie opened in one clean pull of the string. Oh yeah baby.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
It was amazing. just before I took it off, I watched the video one more time. I used a boning knife to start it at the thin side of the rack. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think where most people get into trouble is in using a sharp knife. The best tool to get the corner started is a plain old butter knife. Then grab with the paper towel, pulling both up and away from the starting corner at a 45° angle.

Shoot I only use a butter knife after I've got it started. For some reason I get right at it with my fingers.

I know that feeling of accomplishment when that membrane comes off easy!!! what a great feelin ha?

best regards,

Larry B

Back