BB Ribs 3-2-1

Jason Smith

TVWBB Fan
Going to be doing some BB for the 4th and was thinking about doing the old 3-2-1 method. I have never done this with BB but have done with spares. Any suggestions or things to look out for would be helpful. If there are any other options in terms of cooking that others prefer for BB's let me know.

Two hours in foil CAN be too long. You might want to check them after an hour or so.

Like just about everything, from my experience 3-2-1 isn't a rule as much as it is a guide.

2-1-1 or so if you want to foil.

I just did some for the 1st time w/out foil and it will now be my preferred method. I cooked them right at 4 hours 240-250 lid temp.

I am not real sure about the temp or time adjustments with you being in Denver.

For one, when I had to lift the lid to wrap the ribs in foil, the temp spikes.

So without checking them I usually leave them in foil too long, and they are more done then I want.
So if you foil, just be carefull how long you leave them in.

We liked the slight pull doneness that I got from just leaving them unfoiled. It isn't fall off the bone.

And it saves me work
icon_wink.gif

I prefer a foiling component but do not foil till the end. I'm not concerned about temp spkies (I do backs at high heat). I cook them till just tender then either pull them to rest or pull them, remove them from the foil, paint with a thin glaze, then return them to the cooker for the glaze to set, just a few minutes--not long enough to overcook them

This post describes what I do. An alternative.

Kevin
I prefer spares also. Do you trim them to St. Louis style or what is you process for trimming them?
Thanks
Jerry P

Jerry--

Mostly I trim St Louis-style. Sometimes I only remove the skirt--but I always remove the membrane. Spares I cook lower, around 265-275 grate, and I cook them as noted above: most of the cook is foil-less (I cook till they are very deeply colored), then foil to finish. 'Done', to me, for either type of ribs, means that a probe or pick just enters the meat between the without effort. On the occasions I glaze it is applied very thinly (it remains transparent) and
I return the ribs to the cooker for a few minutes so the glaze will sieze. I never apply sauce to ribs.

Thanks Kevin
Probably cook some spares for the 4th, Roadside Chicken, Pork Loin, and a couple Fatties.
Lots of iced tea.
Jerry

Back