BB & Brisket Cook

Bill Rickert

TVWBB Fan
I've got a 10lb brisket thawing in the fridge and two pork butts, a total of 14.4lbs waiting in the fridge for the brisket to thaw. I imagine the pb's are about the same size, so say 7lbs apiece. With the PB on top and brisket on the 2nd rack, which cut should I expect to finish first? I have a Maverick remote (works great after they returned it) and a Taylor candy therm for the lid. I'm thinking of using the lid temp for temp control and putting a Maverick probe in the brisket and the smallest butt. Any better suggestions or comments?

Bill, I would put the brisket on the top & the 2 pork butts on the bottom. My experience is that the bottom grate cooks slower than the top. The pork butts should be finished 1st. fugure 1.25 to 1.5 hr/lb of meat Use the maverick in one of the butts & for top grate temp. Ypu can always use the meat temp probe to check any of the meats.

Too true, an excellent baste. I'd brisket on bottom and cook at ~260-265 lid. It's quite possible that they're done around the same time but much depends on the thickness and marbling of the brisket, among other variables. Fatcap down on the brisket, therm placement looks good to me.

Good luck on the cook, Bill, and I hope your wife is feeling better.

I appreciate that Kevin and thanks all for your responses. I'm been looking forward to the pork baste on the brisket so this time I'll go with the butts on top.

My last butts I cooked at 250 lid and thought maybe dropping that to around 240. Should I use a little higher temp due to the brisket? Just checked the brisket and looks like I might start the cook around 10 tonight (Sunday) for an all nighter. Going to do a Mr Brown on one butt and KC Sweet and Smokey on the other. The brisket, I have some Sugerless Texas sprinkle all ready.

One last question. Do I let the rubs set for around 12 hours or rub and cook (maybe an hour or two)?

Should I use a little higher temp due to the brisket?
A higher temp seems to keep the brisket (being on the lower grate) moving along a bit better.
As for the rubs, I don't see an advantage to rubbing early and it is sometimes a disadvantage flavor-wise, imo. An hour or two, or just when you light your coals even, is sufficient.

Have a great cook.

One last question. Thought I'd use oak, apple and pecan tonight. I think I used about 3 fist sized for my last bb. With the brisket added, how much additional wood? I was thinking of doubling - 2-2-2. I want good smoke flavor, but not overpowering.

I am under the impression that more meat does not need more smoke...the smoke is there no matter how much meat you put in there.

That being said, I find 6 baseball sized hunks to be about right for a smoking brisket or pork...I use 4 peach and 2 mesquite.

Here's my update. Put the meat on at 10:30 last night, butt on top. The temps were to be in the 30's & 40's overnight so I used 30 lit coals on two full chimneys of Kingsford. I was wanting to cook at 225 grate. This was my first use of the Maverick temp and I immediately got the dreaded HHH on the grate temp. Probably my fault, I kinked the line. Anyway, I am using the Taylor in the lid and the good probe of the Maverick on the meat. I also have a Taylor instant read therm I use.

I played with the vents for awhile, but temps maintained 230*-250* from 11pm on. At 1am I got a couple hours sleep and checked again at 4am, 240*. It has been a steady 240 all night. It's now 9:50 and I'm at the plateau on the butt att 166* and the brisket is at 170*. Love the Weber. I used the Brinkmann for the water pan and since the temps are so solid at this time, I haven't checked it. If the temps take a plunge, I'll shake some coals down, if I get a spike, I'll check the water. The lower vents have been at 0/25/25 since 1230 this morn. Life is good.

I'm having trouble getting a probe in the flat portion of the brisket on the lower grate. I guess I could have positioned it better. I try to reach back as far as possible to place the probe, but can't tell if I'm centered or not. Any suggestions?

Bill, Place the probe in the thickest part of the flat. What you want to do for future cooks is go to the BBQ Guru web site & under accessories buy the "inlets". They replace a screw on your brackets that hold your grates & are like a hollowed out rivet, Your probe will pass thru the rivet & you will have plenty of cord to work with.

Thanks Mike. Problem is, I already have the inlets. I guess I either got anxious or careless and kinked the cable. I haven't tried it to see if was temporary or completley shot. The meat probe worked great. I haven't found anyplace in my house it wouldn't reach remotely.

Life was good, now things kind of fell apart. The cook went well until my noon check, the brisket was 180* and the small bb was 175*. No problem, holding at 250 after bumping the legs to drop some ash.

I had to take my wife to the emergency room right after that. She's fine, they gave her a shot and prescription and sent her home. My step daughter was here and all I could think of was to give her a 5 minute lesson and hope for the best. Pull the bb at 195* and the brisket at 185* and foil and put in cooler. I've yet to determine the total result. I pulled one bb and it might be slightly underdone. A little meat on the bone when pulled, but was fall apart and not dry at all (tasted pretty good). This was the Sugerless Texas rub and the taste did not compare to my last bb, Mr Brown. That's what I'm going to pull now. The brisket, she said started cooling off by the probe. The question is was it at the plateau or did I run out of fuel? I will get to it after the 2nd bb (Mr Brown) and will update later. What a day!

I guess thngs didn't work out so bad. Both bb were tender and juicy, maybe could have used a little more time on the weber, but pretty good. The brisket turned out pretty good also. I'm sure I can do better under different circumstances, but I got some good eats for awhile. All the cuts had a good 1/4" smokering also.

Back