Bay of Pigs Sauce

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Need a LOT OF SAUCE? This recipe makes about 1 1/2 gallons. The recipe uses a lot of brand name ingredients. I am going to leave their names off, you can use whatever brand you wish. This recipe is the winner of the 1985 Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

Bay of Pigs Sauce

1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
2 (8 oz.) bottles hot-sweet mustard
24 oz. tomato sauce
1 (32 oz.) bottle of ketchup
1 qt. red wine vinegar
4 (10 oz.) bottles (5 cups) Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
8 tsp. brown sugar
4 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. seasoning salt
4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup liquid smoke

Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat. Add mustard, tomato sauce and ketchup. Stirring constantly, add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Brush on ribs at end of cooking time, then serve alongside. Makes about 1 1/2 gallons.

Source: Sun Sentinel newspaper - 7/93 - "Real Barbecue" (Harper-Collins, 1988)

Need a LOT OF SAUCE? This recipe makes about 1 1/2 gallons. The recipe uses a lot of brand name ingredients. I am going to leave their names off, you can use whatever brand you wish. This recipe is the winner of the 1985 Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest.

Bay of Pigs Sauce

1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks)
2 (8 oz.) bottles hot-sweet mustard
24 oz. tomato sauce
1 (32 oz.) bottle of ketchup
1 qt. red wine vinegar
4 (10 oz.) bottles (5 cups) Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
8 tsp. brown sugar
4 tsp. paprika
2 tsp. garlic powder
4 tsp. seasoning salt
4 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/4 cup liquid smoke

Melt butter in saucepan set over medium heat. Add mustard, tomato sauce and ketchup. Stirring constantly, add vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Then add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Brush on ribs at end of cooking time, then serve alongside. Makes about 1 1/2 gallons.

Source: Sun Sentinel newspaper - 7/93 - "Real Barbecue" (Harper-Collins, 1988)
This looks like it could have some interesting flavors. Have you tried the recipe Joan? Sounds very flavorful

Hi, no we haven't. There are a few ingredients that it calls for that I have lost interest in as I get older. lol. If we do make a recipe that I have posted I always go back and make a notation that we made it and what rating we gave it. IF you make it, hope you will let us know what you think of it. I have posted hundreds of recipes here over the years (most of them that we made) and very few of them ever get tried by others here, according to the lack of posts on them. Sorry, vent over. ;)

Back in the 1970s there was a rib joint in Chicago (on Wabash) called The Bay of Pigs. Would this sauce have any connection? I do remember that the sauce was magnificent. There's a brew pub there now.

Jeff

Back in the 1970s there was a rib joint in Chicago (on Wabash) called The Bay of Pigs. Would this sauce have any connection? I do remember that the sauce was magnificent. There's a brew pub there now.

Jeff
The book was titled Real Barbecue by Greg Johnson and Vince Staten (Harper & Row [at that time], 1988), as Joan said. It is mostly a guide to barbecue joints around the U.S. It doesn’t mention the rib joint in Chicago you are referring to. Instead, the intro to the recipe says: “This sauce was one of the winners in the 1985 Annual Memphis in May World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest, concocted by the Memphis Ad Ribbers team. It uses a little of this and that. If you don’t have this, use that.” The recipe can be found on page 228.

Back