Battle Three Tea!

Wow guys truly impressive. There are so many interesting things to go to. I mean, Wolgast, I was trying to figure out what your first prep pic was and I figured you linked to a wrong photo. But you actually made your own lump!!!
I will now wait for the judging to comment any further.

Again, Great Job Everyone.

I'm very happy that I'm not a judge!

Outstanding job by everyone, and beautiful photography too!
Good luck to all!

My eyes are cryin' and my stomach is growlin'...

<span class="ev_code_GREY">SENSATIONAL</span> entries from everyone...!

again, to think this is all done on WEBER equipment.
Honestly, I hope the bigwigs in Palatine take notice.

YOU GUYS ARE GREAT!!!!

Team USA

Dish #1 Jeff Biesinger

This appetizer was very complex with many ingredients. The links helped tremendously to follow along with the prep photos and give a bit of history and the different teas used. Each of the four bites used the secret ingredient with different applications for each bite. The prep photos follow the final presentation well and vise versa.

Appearance 3.0
Creativity 3.0
Technique 3.0

Dish #2 Gary Heise

Again, this was a pretty complex dish. Explanation of cooking techniques was very helpful. The secret ingredient was used in all aspects of the cook. The final presentation accompanied the prep photos well. . The final plating however, looked a little busy compared to your teammate’s plates.

Appearance 2.75
Creativity 3.0
Technique 3.0

Dish #3 Don Cash

This dish lacked the complexity of the previous two. The secret ingredient was included in all aspects of the dish.

Appearance 2.75
Creativity 2.75
Technique 2.75

An additional 1 ½ points to the team for Cohesion. The appetizer, main, dessert theme flowed well. I felt the tea was used in just about every way it could have been used.

Swedish BBQ Wikings

Dish #1 Daniel Andersson

A creative rendition of Steak Carpaccio only with Moose. The secret ingredient was used in two forms both brine and smoke. The final dish followed the prep photos well. Perhaps you could have included some tea in your sauce.

Appearance 2.75
Creativity 3.00
Technique 2.75

Dish #2 Dennis Lundin

The secret ingredient was used in as a brine and a rub The final presentation was good, but I feel some consistent grill marks on the chicken and potatoes would have made it appear even better.

Appearance 2.75
Creativity 2.75
Technique 3.00

Dish #3 Daniel Wolgast

The secret ingredient was used in the ice cream, raspberries and the tea drink. I don’t know if it could have been incorporated into the sponge cake or meringue. The final dish followed the prep photos The final dish appears as if the ice cream was melting a little causing the raspberries to be hidden behind the melted ice cream.

Appearance 2.75
Creativity 3.00
Technique 2.75

An additional 1 point to the team for Cohesion. The meal flowed well with salad, main and dessert.

Great Job Everyone!!!

First thing is first, congratulations to both teams for a pile of amazing dishes. I so wish that we could find a way to taste them all, it is darn hard to do this with pictures! I will also say that the descriptions of all of the dishes this time are exceptional and make it so no questions are needed! Thanks! So with nothing further here we go…..

Team USA

Dish 1 – Appetizers – A big risk with this dish, anytime four bites are submitted at once you are really putting yourself out there!

Appearance – 3 – no need to go into detail and for me any problems would just be nit picking, this is as nice as anything I would get in any restaurant. Excellent colors, love the addition of the tea pot, well done. The prep photos really walk you through the step by step executions as well.

Creativity – 3 – Hard to look for deductions here! The tea has been used in multiple ways, as a dry rub, dough ingredient, brine, and cure, as well as the traditional form as a drink. As well the use of so many different teas and tea ingredients is worth noting . Not much more could be done!

Technique – 2.75 – We have curing, bringing, grilling, indirect grilling, marinating and on and on, all done to perfection. My one minor issue is the flow of the dish, I think for an appetizer we have too much, for myself I think the belly and the chicken would have been good or alternatively the salmon and the gyoza. Creating all 4 displayed exceptional skill but I don’t feel they all necessarily fit together on one plate to start a meal.

Dish 2 Main

Appearance – 3– I debated on this for a long time, going between 2.75 and 3. I do not necessarily love the potatoes in the four corners. I would prefer one pile of potato myself. This is the only reason for any possible deduction. The duck is the dish in the competition that from looks I want to jump in and tackle like no other, it looks utterly amazing. For that reason I stuck with 3. As well it is very nice how the prep pictures really walk you through the preparation of the duck.

Creativity – 3 – Many types of tea used and in every single component of the dish. I love how you have taken classic dishes and turned them on their head, such as sweet potatoes and pecans and tea smoked duck. This category refers to creativity with use of the secret ingredient, so while some of the dishes may be somewhat traditional (tea smoked duck etc…) it has to be noted how tea was placed with every single aspect of this dish.

Technique – 3 - As was stated above this is the first dish done on the WSM. We have a steaming, followed by low temp smoking and finally a little high heat to finish it off. Add to that the finesse of the sauces, dressings and oils and you have a real winner.

Dish 3

Appearance – 3 – While not my cup of tea (had to toss a pun in) as far as the classic style of plating I do think it is beautiful. The pears look good enough to eat and I really do like the cookies being shaped like tea pots.

Creativity – 2.75 – Let me start by saying this is a beautiful dish that took a lot of effort. I appreciate how tea was infused in all aspects of the dish, I find the yogurt cheese cream to be exceptionaly creative. I will say that while serving the tea with no additions is classic and tasteful, not to mention tasty it probably isn’t enough creativity wise for this competition. What looks to some like a simple dish here is actually very well thought out.

Technique – 3 – While we have homemade cookies with tea powder, infused tea cream and tea poached pears, not your everyday dishes for the grill!

Cohesion – 3- Not much extra to say I would love to sit down and eat that entire meal, it flows for me!

TOTAL – 29.5 30

Team Sweeden

Dish 1 – My kind of salad
Appearance – 2.75 - I will admit to a little bias with my love of cured meats but looking at the plate I just want to jump in. The greens looks a little scattered which is the reason for the deduction.

Creativity – 2.75 – This dish is immensely creative. The problem is the category is the creativity with the use of the tea. While I love the idea of infusing a cure of dry tea and smoking with tea I do think another component could have been added with the sauce. As well possible another type of tea.

Technique – 3 – Exceptionally done, I love that we have another wsm dish! I really think this would have been one darn tasty dish!

Dish 2
Appearance – 3, lots of care taken and looks great!

Creativity – 3 - Multiple teas and used in different ways. I love the use of the tea in a marinade for the chicken and again in the potatoes. Love that there are a couple different teas used.

Technique – 2.75 Well done overall. The chicken looks like it could have used a little more char, this is where it would be so much nicer to taste it! Not sure if the basalmic will help much in such small quantity!

Dish 3
Appearance – 3 – Please send me a slice along with the cocktail!

Creativity – 2.75 Love the drink, definite full marks there. Also am so intrigued and impressed by the ice cream, I do feel that for full marks in the category however there would have been some aspects of tea in both the cake as well as the meringue…..

Technique – 3 - Well lets see we have homemade lump (that is insane by the way and thanks for the prep photo, please tell me more). Then we have meringue, home made ice cream and cake, no complaints here!

Cohesion – 3 -The same as for Team America this flows nicely for me and I would love to sit down and eat it all!

TOTAL – 29 / 30
Thanks for all the efforts, sorry for any critical comments, it’s always the hardest part!

Clark

This is truly awesome. If the format ever opens up to have 4-man teams, I'm your man. I sure don't want to compete against both of these teams.

Crazy afternoon. Sorry for the delay.

The bar got raised with the efforts and results of this contest. Really nice work from both teams, both conceptually and demonstratively.

Team USA

Appetizer 3 3 3

This dish is one of the finest examples of food couture, if you will, that I've seen in some time - including the in-person fine dining I frequently do. Though I might have switched the positions of the belly and the salmon or the gyoza and salmon for, to me, a somewhat better color balance, I could not ding the chosen presentation. Other than the presentation, I found this dish to be conceptually thrilling without being over-the-top. Loved the cocktail concept.

Bravo.

Main 2.75 3 3

I am rather of the same mind here as with the appetizer. I think the concept here was well designed and very well executed. As in the appetizer, the subtle was combined very well with the not-so-subtle to add interesting contrasts and complements to the finished dish. What might have been an overworked result - just look at all that's going on here - was restrained just enough in all the right places. Slight ding for the sweet potato color and the cilantro oil (mis)placements. Very nice work.

Dessert 2.75 3 3

I loved the combination here of the expected (pear-ginger-almond) with the unexpected (the cookie is brilliant and the whipped cream inspired). I liked the tea inclusion very much and I liked the tea cup but would have placed it to the side of the plate - and would suggest using a neutral, patternless plate for the presentation of the food items.

Cohesion bonus 2.5

Starter 3 3 3

I thought the concept and the execution here was very well done. A 'simple' dish that lets its flavors, textures and colors speak for themselves. Superb.

Main 2.5 3 2.75

I also thought this dish was very well conceived - good creativity with the main items. I thought the potatoes might have benefited from tweaking the technique - perhaps some time roasting or grilling without the foil - so that the skin and the surface of the flesh would take on more color and texture. I liked the overall presentation but felt the garnish might have been better executed.

Dessert 2.75 3 3

I very much liked the concept of this dessert and thought it was well executed. I liked the combination of the cake, fruit and meringue, and the inclusion (and type) of the tea. Though I might prefer a hot tea beverage on the side with this dessert, I did not ding for this.

Cohesion bonus 2.75

Well folks all of the results are in and let me be the first to congratulate the still undefeated Team USA!

Incredible dishes by both teams, great work and creativity! Thanks for putting yourselves out there and sharing your creations with us!

Clark

CONGRATS TO A WELL DESERVED VICTORY USA!
icon_smile.gif

This was real fun!
icon_smile.gif

CONGRATS TO A WELL DESERVED VICTORY USA! Smiler
This was real fun! Smiler

Agreed. Once again I learned a ton and pushed myself in new directions and appreciate everyone involved, from the Wikings to the judges.

Btw, I'm reading Noma and could see the moose dish fitting in with the rest of their nordic haute cuisine. Excellent work, I would have loved to taste it.

This dish is one of the finest examples of food couture, if you will, that I've seen in some time - including the in-person fine dining I frequently do.

icon_eek.gif
Thanks Kevin! I really liked my dish, I'm glad you did too!

Hate to ask but what were the final scores? Thanks.

here's how I added it up:

Clark: USA 29.25 Swedes 29
Bill: USA 27.5 Swedes 26.5
Kevin: USA 29 Swedes 28.75

Future plans:

The winning team gets to pick the first throwdown, which will run either through December of January. We are hoping to run a couple, and through those assemble two new IC teams.

Many thanks to my teammates Jeff and Don, to the judges Clark, Kevin, and Bill, and our Swedish competitors, the Wikings: Daniel Andersson, Dennis Lundin and Daniel Wolgast. We knew the Wikings were a very talented group and were going to be tough competition. And naturally thanks to Chris Allingham for this great barbecue site.
These comps are a lot of fun; I hope others are inspired to form teams and jump in with their own challenges.

What a great experience!

Thanks to all involved; my teammates, the judges, our competitors, the "spectators" and especially Chris.

Looking forward to the Throwdowns!

Thanks to everyone involved,judges,my team,my mom..ee wait
icon_razz.gif

A well..Think the Swedish team got a bit to high scores compared to Team USA that i think smoked the competition this battle.

A big Congrats Gary,Jeff & Don!

Congrats to ALL of you guys for doing such an incredible job.

Just to tell you how amazing your efforts were, my wife generally rolls her eyes when I point something on tvwbb out to her...she just doesn't get taking pics of food and putting them on the Internet. When I showed her the presentation thread with the finished dishes she took my iPad and read the whole thread from start to finish and was very, very impressed with the efforts made.

Can't wait for the throwdown!!

A few additional pics of the process, for those interested:
1. Smoking materials: browns sugar, tea and rice, and a chunk of hickory.
2. duck, smoked and glazed and nearly ready.
3. alternate plated pic.

IMG_2405.jpg

IMG_2409.jpg

IMG_2426.jpg

Back