Basil and Garlic Whole Chicken on WSM 22

dwayne e

TVWBB Super Fan
Sorry.....I only took one photo of the prep and I'll try to add it tomorrow.......

I remembered an idea from BBQ U on MD PBS a couple of years ago and thought I'd apply it to roasting whole chickens on the WSM.

I made a paste out of margerine (actually used Brumel and Brown), lots of fresh Basil (finely chopped) and a couple of cloves (4 clove sections) of fresh garlic (finely chopped). I mixed with a fork into a soft paste.

I used a spoon and my fingers to work it UNDER the skin of the chicken, starting from the back. Once you break the membrane at the back of the chicken between the skin and the meat, you can work the paste around the entire body of the chicken, including the legs and thighs.

I let this sit for about an hour and then roasted the chickens in the WSM using the standard method. I used a few hickory chips but nothing too crazy; I wanted the prevailing flavor to be from the paste, not the smoke. I left the bottom vents about half open during the entire cook and the WSM churned away at about 300-325*.

I pulled the chickens when they got to about 175*.........the breast was done PERFECTLY. The dark meat was a little undercooked close to the bone.

All in all it was a sucessful cook; everyone enjoyed the chicken. The flavor of the basil came through nicely.

Any advice on getting the dark meat completely done without drying out the breast would be appreciated........I'm afraid if I left it in much longer I would have screwed up the breast. I'd consider turning the chicken over, exposing the dark meat to more heat??......or possibly covering the breast with foil toward the end of the cook?? Not sure?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Any advice on getting the dark meat completely done without drying out the breast would be appreciated........I'm afraid if I left it in much longer I would have screwed up the breast. I'd consider turning the chicken over, exposing the dark meat to more heat??......or possibly covering the breast with foil toward the end of the cook?? Not sure? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A couple of options come to mind.

Spatchcocking the chicken will help, but you have to like that presentation and not be using the cavity.

Another option is to premake a foil triangle to fit over the breasts. Take a square of foil and fold it opposite corners to make a triangle. Then cut and premold. When the breasts start getting close, foil them, leaving the runners exposed.

To get the legs and breasts done without overcooking the breasts, you could ice the chicken (or turkey) breasts before cooking.

You will be able to find some information if you search (all discussions) with the words "ice breasts." Someone please chime in here with a specific link.

Rita

did you temp both the breast & the dark meat? Red near the bones doesn't necessarily mean it's under cooked.

thanks for the advice......I'm going to experiment with foil and ice........both should work

Clint.........most of the dark meat was done (up to temp); right next to the bone was fairly red and there was a couple visable viens that hadn't cooked through.......not something the wife wants to see.
icon_smile.gif
I'd say it was 90% done.

I'm still thinking about either starting the chicken breast down or turning the chicken aobut 3/4 way through the cook. The WSM seems to cook from the top down and a little time on top may be the trick to finishing the underside dark meat.

Back