Basic rub recipe ?

Brent B

TVWBB Member
I have been using a commercial season for several years that consists of salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. I like this blend a lot, but it is a real fine grind. I would like to be able to come up with a vey similar blend only a little coarser from fresh ingredients for use as a rub on butts and briskets. Does anyone happen to have a recipe or an idea the ratios I might use to start experimenting with.

See this post.

Grinding your own chilies and other spices lets you better control the texture. Using chilies other than paprika offers much better flavor, imo, as paprika has flavor that does not stand up to long cooking. It also tends toward the bitter which necessitates more sugar to counteract it. Sugar tends to flatten flavors considerably.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brent Bristle:
I have been using a commercial season for several years that consists of salt, pepper, garlic and paprika. I like this blend a lot, but it is a real fine grind. I would like to be able to come up with a vey similar blend only a little coarser from fresh ingredients for use as a rub on butts and briskets. Does anyone happen to have a recipe or an idea the ratios I might use to start experimenting with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree with Kevin about paprika, I don't like it or use it in BBQ rubs.

For pork I like to aim for sweet and a medium grind to the rub. I think any 'BBQ' rub must contain 3 ingredients salt, pepper and sugar. This is just my preference..... After that the ingredients can be whatever you like which could include granulated garlic and onion powder, ground mustard, chiles, cinnamon, all spice, ginger and cumin.

For beef, I prefer a coarse more robust rub, but still must contain salt, pepper and sugar. Then I like to add minced garlic, minced onion, chile pepper flakes, oregano, ground mustard and cumin.

In each the amount is all up to your own personal tastes and can be configured accordingly.

Use what tastes good to you!

Do you guys notice a difference in a rub that contains mustard powder vs one that doesn't? I would think the flavor cooks out over long smokes.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Do you guys notice a difference in a rub that contains mustard powder vs one that doesn't? I would think the flavor cooks out over long smokes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think it adds it's own back heat.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tom Chips:
Do you guys notice a difference in a rub that contains mustard powder vs one that doesn't? I would think the flavor cooks out over long smokes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Generally, no, which is why I don't use it--not in dry rubs anyway. Mustard needs moisture to activate its flavor. Though moisture might be present on the meat's surface the amount might be insufficient. More important, mustard flavor, once activated, needs 10-15 minutes to reach its peak; from there it declines. Heat hastens the decline and inhibits both its flavor and potency.

I sometimes use prepared mustard, usually one I make myself, as one of the 'glues' in paste rubs.

What Kevin says about paprika is true. I didn't really believe it at first, but I mixed up some of the Metamorphisis Rub he suggested in an old post and it was great. Three different chili powders instead of regular chili powder and paprika. Give is a try.

Greg J

This is my house rub, courtesy of Goode Co. BBQ in Texas. I add very little salt, cut back the paprika a bit, and add a dash of ground chipolte.

I triple the recipe anounts whenever I make a batch.

It works very well on brisket, butts & ribs:

2 1/2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons dry mustard
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons dried sweet basil
1 teaspoon ground bay leaves
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander
3/4 teaspoon ground savory
3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 teaspoon white pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
Salt, to taste

Was watching Good Eats with Alton Brown today and he was making ribs. He cooked them in foil in his oven, but they were ribs anyway. (He did make it a point two different times to say that it was not "BBQ" since that would require fire and smoke.)

But anyway, he gave a simple rub recipe that sounded ok. It was an 8+3+1+1 ratio.
8 parts light brown sugar
3 parts kosher salt
1 part chili powder
The final 1 part was made up of small, equal portions of:
ground black pepper
cayenne pepper
jalapeno pepper
thyme
Old Bay
onion powder

Meat candy.

I know there are lots of AB fans here but, imo, talent with flavor, flavor creation, flavor profiles, and understanding flavor is not something he possesses.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Meat candy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was pretty much what I thought when I saw that much brown sugar.

I've never tried this rub myself. I was just pasing it along since I read the original post about half an hour after watching the TV show.

Someone sent the recipe to me earlier this week. Apparently AB says the 8,3,1 are the keys--or just the 8 and 3--and the rest is whatever you like or some such. (It wasn't clear to me.) If true, it doesn't make sense.

I watched the show and it was 8 parts brown sugar, 3 salt and 1 part a mix of several spices. He used about 8 different ones if I recall. I tried his recipe almost to the "T" and it was horrible. Worst rub I've ever tasted and I know I wasn't that far off of the exact ingredient list.

Back