Bars for rehabbing? Prefer low cost, for flips.

MikeH_MKE

Is there a source of inexpensive bars for early (Genesis I and 1000 series) gas grills?

I don't really flip grills usually, but I have an extra that I'm going to want to sell. It needs bars. I don't want to spend $40-70 on bars and then sell the grill to somebody for $100, but I haven't seen a better price for the bars, and I can't imagine most buyers being willing to put out much money on something that they still had to buy a part for. What do y'all do? Usually suck it up and replace the bars or sell without?

Amazon is your best friend for cheap flav bars. However, the 13 bar sets are likely going
to be around $40. If your grill is nice, it should bring more than $100 though.

I agree totally wth Dave. Unfortunately, not as many companies have pursued the 13 bar market and with that many extra bars they naturally cost more anyway.

Amazon is your best friend for cheap flav bars. However, the 13 bar sets are likely going
to be around $40. If your grill is nice, it should bring more than $100 though.
OK, thanks, I'll think about it. How much do you have to do for it to go for over 100? I've seen enough for that or lower on local CL, etc., that I really didn't think anybody would pay more. Perhaps those others have issues I didn't notice.

Since it is a flip, you could just put five tall bars in it. I bought two 1000s to restore into one keeper grill. One of the 1000s came with 5 tall bars instead of 13. Most buyers won't know the difference.
DSCF5903.JPG

I don't think Weber actually ever made any x000 series with only 5 bars.
I don't think they did. A previous owner of one of the 1000s I picked up had replaced the original 13 bars with just 5 long ones. Didn't I read here in a thread that you ran one of your 13 bar grills with 5 bars? I seem to recall there was a thread about the merits of 13 vs. 5 bars.

I don't think they did. A previous owner of one of the 1000s I picked up had replaced the original 13 bars with just 5 long ones. Didn't I read here in a thread that you ran one of your 13 bar grills with 5 bars? I seem to recall there was a thread about the merits of 13 vs. 5 bars.
Mine are custom made. My dad had a guy he knows make a number of sets for us out of very heavy gauge stainless 304. AFAIK they're the only ones in existence

Did none of the later grills use bars the same length as the 5? It looks like the ones for my grill would be 23 3/8, and indeed I’m not turning up any options through a quick eBay or Amazon search.

Mike, you could search Amazon for Stainless steel flavor bars set, qty 5, Genesis E/S. Like the grill in the picture. The 5 bars are longer, 24.5 inches, but you could cut them down. Just make sure the width of 2.375 inches times 5 is OK. There are Weber and aftermarket bars to choose from at various price points. I can't speak to the merits of 5 versus 13

IMG_0142.JPG

No, no other grill used bars of that length. The Genesis x000 had a firebox which is about 1" wider than the later Silver/Gold B/C which only used 5 bars. So the 22.5" bars for the Silver/Gold B/C would be about 1" too short.
You could get some bars for the Genesis 3xx (sidewinder) which used bars which 24.5" long and cut them shorter. But I don't think you will find really cheap ones either. Plus I would only recommend cutting SS bars since enameled bars will probably chip when you cut them.
There currently someone here in the DFW area selling some China made grates for the x000 for $15. But shipping would probably kill that deal if the seller would be willing to ship.

Last edited:
Just make sure the width of 2.375 inches times 5 is OK.
Good catch. Yes the 24.5" bars are wider than the 5 bars on the x0000. You would need to bend the 24.5" a bit further together to make them fit in the slots of the x000.

Mine are custom made. My dad had a guy he knows make a number of sets for us out of very heavy gauge stainless 304. AFAIK they're the only ones in existence

Larry,
A deep firebox 13-bar grill I picked up had five very tall stainless flavorizer bars just like you are describing. Have no idea where they came from. I have kept them to this point as kind of a curiosity.

I ended up purchasing these: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01G69W03I/tvwb-20 and my son and I cut them down over the weekend. They fit quite nicely, and for anyone who is considering a similar move, they fit the slot fine without having to be squeezed down to a new angle. They would be too tall to add the layer of 8 on top, but if you want to do that, you're not trying to find a cheap route to the first 5.

I ended up purchasing these: https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01G69W03I/tvwb-20 and my son and I cut them down over the weekend. They fit quite nicely, and for anyone who is considering a similar move, they fit the slot fine without having to be squeezed down to a new angle. They would be too tall to add the layer of 8 on top, but if you want to do that, you're not trying to find a cheap route to the first 5.
Mike, that's good information thanks for sharing. I think the new bars still give you a lot of bar surface area to heat up and diffuse smoke from the drippings.

Back