Bark

Colin,

For the few smokes I've done, I've left the bark on some Valley oak chunks I've been using. Certainly never hurts, and I've used alder before with bark with no ill consequences.

I'm curious...are you going to season your wood before you use it, or are you going to be using it "green"? I've always wondered about this question...whether or not it's o.k. to use freshly cut wood. I'm sure it's not dangerous, but I know that if you burn green wood in a fireplace it will leave much more creosote than if you burn seasoned wood. How this will affect food I don't know. Hopefully some knowledgeable person here will chime in.

Colin
I could not help but chime in on this topic. As far as the bark is concerned, I burn mostly hickory wood and I would not use the bark. The couple of times I have it gave the meat a acrid flavor, just a little to bitter for my taste.

In regards to using 'green' wood- wood that has not cured out to a good drystate I would not use it, that creosote could land on your food and nobaody likes that.
Arthur

Green wood should NOT be used in any great quantity. I doubt a little bit would hurt, but just a little. As far as bark, I take it off if it comes off easily, otherwise I don't bother with it.

I've never used green wood, so no help there. I used some wood with the bark on before, and I second the vote that it gave a slight bitter taste to the food. Others do it and have no problems, but I get rid of it.

On the other hand, I went to a July 4th pig roast up in the NC mountains where the good ole boys cooked a pig in a halved oval oil drum. They threw in 80 lbs (or was it 120 lbs) of Kingsford, started it, put 4 apple logs on (about 15" diameter by 12" long) that they had cut fresh that morning. Put the pig on and closed the top and did not look or touch anything for 9 hours. That pig was great!

I have only been to a few whole pig smokes. They all cut the skin, then peel it down to get to the meat. I have never really tasted any smoke in the meat. Are they not doing it right? The meat was really good and tender, but no smoke flavor. Is that normal? I know depending on who I am smoking for, when doing a picnic cut, I will leave the skin on 1 of them for the people that aren't into smoke as much. Cooked skin side down, there isn't as much, if any smoke flavor on that side of the picnic.

Back