Bark On, Bark Off ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee-Rowlands

TVWBB Member
I am lucky enough to be able to cut and store my own smoke wood.
Now during this process I don't strip the bark off to season the timber and some of the wood goes onto the WSM with it still on.

Is it best to burn the wood without the bark or doesn't it matter?

I can't say I've noticed a difference in the taste of the food when I've left the bark on, although my food hasn't been judged to competition standards so I don't know if it would make a difference at that level.

So then, is it to be Bark on or, Bark off?

Lee

Lee,
I cannot notice a difference either. But I know some people say they can. I would think if the wood is seasoned properly bark on would be fine.

I will be interested in finding the answer out to this question as well. I have just found an unlimited supplier of Applewood and was going to ask this same question this weekend when I pick-up my first load of wood!!

I leave it on unless it comes off easily. I've never had any problems with the resulting flavor of the BBQ. Don't think it matters.

Like the others said if the bark comes off then fine but I cant tell any difference at all when I leave it on. Then again Im a newbie.

Experiment time again.

1) get a whole bunch of wood
2) scrape all the bark off and save the bark
3) bbq one small throwing chicken (disposable, that is) with the bark
4) bbq one small throwing chicken (disposable, that is) with the wood
5) after eating the bark smoked chicken be sure to look for signs such as: death, sickness, vomiting, nausea, blurred vision, hunger, etc..

Good experiment Morgan. Let us know how it turns out. (if your able)

Some where on the TVWB site, Chris A. says he leaves it on unless the recipe he is using specific about removal.

I take the bark off if I can do it with my hands. If I have to chop it off with an axe I leave it on. Wouldn't want to chop a pinky or two off in the process. How would I pop my beer can with out my fingers?

I leave mine on. Have never noticed an off taste or anything else negative about it. I, personally, rank this up with the debate about Kingsford charcoal, whether it's good or bad.

Tony,
Don't cut your fingers off cutting the bark off. Then we will have to do an experiment "smoking with finger" vs. "barkless wood", is it worth the expense?
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the input guys.

The reason this question sprang to mind and onto here is that the guy who owns the timber yard that I get some of my smoke wood from advised me not to take the offcuts with bark on, he said that the bark contains tannin.

Now I'm sure that different trees have different levels and that also the soil the tree grew in would also have an effect to.

My experience only goes as far as smoking pork and beef with bark on the timber so I don't know if chicken or fish would respond differently. I'll have to try this weekend.

Many thanks

Lee

I've always removed the bark from my wild cherry and apple, but only because most of what I read recommended so. The hickory I use is from HD and I usually leave that on. Guess I'll have to try the bark and see..
icon_smile.gif

the wood I order in from chiggercreek products always comes bark on and I've never seen a reason to take it off. The only time I've considered it si when getting wood from an apple farm that I was concerned about pesticide spraying but the farmer says dont bother as he hadnt sprayed in quite some time and dosent believe there would be any residual effect.

I have had wood come bark off but zI cant say ive ever noticed any difference

Bark on here too.

While tannins add an astringent note to whatever they're in (think black tea, apple skin, young Cabernet), I've never felt the need to remove bark. There are some people who are sensitive to tannins and there is anecdotal evidence that tannins exacerbate migraines for those prone to them.

Bark on here too. The only bark I pull off is the bark from a well smoked butt when I'm eating it as I pull it for sandwiches
icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back