Bare bones 22 grill identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon Alex

TVWBB Member
Just picked up a real basic 22 kettle from my brother who doesn't use it. It's black, 3 vents on the bottom, no ash tray, EI on the lid vent. Lid vent doesn't even have Weber embossed. No whitewalls on the wheels though it does say Weber. Wood handles. Has a goofy vented ash tray inside with a grate that fits inside it. Is this some kind of WalMart special Weber or something? What is the model name?

I think this might be a great start to a 22 WSM conversion?

Thx

Jon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Shaun R:
How do you know George? How did you see it? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Shaun the
date code is EI

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sounds like a Sears Weber. Post a picture if you can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Does this look familiar?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jake S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">sounds like a Sears Weber. Post a picture if you can. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed.

Does this look familiar? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BINGO, this is the one. Wow, I have a Weber Sears Economy Kettle. Is that special?
I still think it'll make a good basis for a 22 WSM conversion. I like the 3 adjustable vents on the bottom. The "diffuser tray thingy" is kind of neat in that it catches the ashes so they don't blow out the vents onto the patio. I added a regular charcoal rack on top of it so I could place my charcoal holders on it more easily and also put a new top folding cooking rack on it.

I did fire it up the other night and used my rotisserie ring to roast a chicken. Came out great!

So what is the TLA (3 letter acronym) for a Weber Sears Economy kettle so I can add it to my signature? SEK?

Thx

Jon

The integrated charcoal grate/pan strikes me as odd for an "economy" model. At first glance it looks like it would be more expensive than a plain grate and an external aluminum ash pan.

Brad

I had a Sears Economy Kettle, but ended up using it for a Drum Smoker. I did keep the ash pan and occasionally use it in my Cajun Bandit.

that ash catcher is actially a brilliant idea. it catches the ash and prevents it from choking the vents underneath but still allows full air flow. how that great idea found its way into a "cheapy" kettle is beyond me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back