Barbequed Mutton?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat Trammell

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone ever had barbequed mutton? I think it is reasonably popular in central and eastern Kentucky, but I have never tasted or known anyone that has. Has anyone else ever had any, and if so, what did you think?

Thanks!

I haven't had it but in Ky there is a famous place called Moonlight BBQ .the sauce is sold nationaly at Kroger and other grocery stores.

I read about Kentuckians loving to eat BBQ mutton and thought I would jump in with a comment about it since I am from Louisville Ky. Never had it, seen it, or heard of anyone around my area cooking it. I am not saying that I wouldnt try it, but I never have seen any.
I might be missing something good.

It is a western Kentucky "thing". I hail from the Bowling Green area (south central) and they do not do mutton at all, nor have I seen it in eastern Kentucky.

The Moonlite Bar-B-Que Inn is a legend. The buffet is incredible. Take some time and look through the website. A lot of good history, recipes, and information about mutton.

Make sure you read about the burgoo. I've never heard of it anywhere but in west Kentucky.

I have smoked a leg of lamb a couple of times with great results. The following recipe is for bone in or boneless leg of lamb.

Cut deep slits all around the leg of lamb. Insert raw bacon into the slits. Wrap string around the leg of lamb to help keep the bacon in. It tends to rise up from the slits and fall out as it cooks. Mix 1/2 cup of soy sauce and 1/2 cup of Italian Dressing. Pour half over the leg of lamb and reserve the rest for basting during the smoking. Smoke at 220-225 degree til internal temperature reaches 140 degrees. Wrap in foil and allow for carry over tempature. (about 5 degrees)

Steve,
I smoked it in a WSM. It was last spring and I don't remember how long it took.I know it wasn't an all day thing like a pork butt, because you're only going to 140 degrees. It depends on the size of the leg.

Thanks Tony. Another question popped into my mind this morning. Since you are using raw bacon in the cuts, is cooking to 140 enough for the bacon? My thinking is perhaps saute in a pan some bacon and garlic with a few spices and put that in the cuts. What do you think?

When you buy bacon it is already cold smoked. The long cook will crisp the exposed bacon and the bacon that is tucked in will have the same texture as bacon in baked beans..soft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back