Barbecuewood.com Questions

Greg P.

I can't seem to find any local sources for good smoke wood around here so I turned to this website a few months ago. I ordered their apple pellets and have had some good results by foiling them and using them in my kettle.

Now that I am getting ready to start using my WSM I need to move up to the chunks.

My first question is - has anyone ordered/used their "Factory 2nds"? The website describes them as: "Not big enough for Chunks or small enough for Chips approximately 3 inches long and 1/2 to 1 inch square (1728 Cubic Inches)".

I know I am a novice at using the WSM but I would think that using smaller pieces (larger than chips) distributed among unlit briquettes (Minion Method) rather than a few large chunks would yield more smoke over time and a better result. Also, I would think that they would burn more consistently throughout the cook without the temp spikes when a huge chunk ignites that I've read about on here.

My second question is – Is there a similar website on the East coast like Barbecuewood.com? The shipping from Washington to Florida is quite expensive.

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Chuncks are used by more folks than anything else. My purchases have been from Home Depot and BBQ Galore. Many have used Cabelas.

My personal preference is for local wood. Peach and apple orchards are great around here. They have piles of old branches and trees. I have found pecan and oak as well. There is something about local wood for me. Winos call it terroir or something like that.

If I were you I would head straight to the citrus groves....but do not forget the hickory-it is the signature wood for pork.

Greg,

I agree with Steve; use local if available; it's just going to be less expensive. I think the chunks work better due to their size; you get a longer burn. You might check out Chucks Smokehouse. I've been very pleased with their product and service. http://chuckssmokehouse.com/index.html
If not them, there has been quite a bit of discussion dealing with wood in last couple of months on this board. Experiment with different sizes and different woods. Good luck.

Paul

I have ordered from Chuck's Smokehouse and was pleased with the results. I got what I ordered and received it in a decent amount of time. The prices are about the same as some of the other websites that are out there. Then again, its the cost of shipping that's the real killer but this is probably the same for every site.

-- Joey

I agree, the major players out there will most likely be fairly competitive. I only order certain fruit woods online to supplement the local woods available to me; oak and pecan which keeps the overall cost of wood pretty low.

Paul

I have also order from Chuck's and was please with the product but, I did have to call them a couple of times to find out when my order was going to actually ship--it was not the date indicated on my order confirmation.

S Whipple

I ordered from Natures Own before, (pecan) the wood was great. I put an order in for cherry on Oct. 3rd, got an email saying it would be a week or 2 before they got a new shipment in. Still waiting. By the looks of the header on their email, I wasn't the only one waiting.

I have used barbecuewood.com many times and I'm very happy with their prices and lead times if that is important to you. This place has all kinds of wood in many sizes, you can't go wrong.

Thanks everyone for tbier input. BBQWOOD.COM wanted to charge me more than $70.00 to ship the same amount as Chuck's Smokehouse for $25.00.

Chuck's is in PA, I'm in FL. It makes more sense to get my wood on the Right Coast rather than way out in Washington State.

Once again,TVWBB steps up and delivers.

WAR EAGLE!

Greg,
For hickory and mesquite chunks check your local Home Depot or Lowes. They are pretty inexpensive. For fruitwoods I'd stop by some of the local orchards and see if you can pick up some of the trimmings after they prune the orchards. A couple of logs will go a long way after you split and cut them into chunks. I can fill up the trunk of my car at the local orchard for less than ten bucks!

Russ:

Wal-Mart, Loews, Home Depot all carry the run-of-the-mill Hickory and Mesquite. I'm looking for a little more exotic wood. Someone suggested orange trees. We have a lot of that an hour south of me. Perhaps I can see what they have there.

Greg:

If you want a more exotic wood take a look at guava. I used the following link and was very pleased with the quantity of wood, timely delivery and shipping costs and this stuff came from Hawaii. This is not a business that trys to make their income from excessive shipping costs. Worth a look anyway.

http://www.hawaiiguava.com/

Greg,

Where are you in relation to Tampa? At Grate Grills in Tampa, they carry almost every type of wood--and can special order different quantities. They're located on Tampa Rd near Oldsmar.

Back